This has probably been asked before

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
pablodiablo316

This has probably been asked before

Postby pablodiablo316 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:27 pm

When choosing a natrual location for a shoot, how do you test for the safety?
Mainly curious as to how you go about it

Duncan Edwards

Re: This has probably been asked before

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:48 pm

pablodiablo316 wrote:When choosing a natrual location for a shoot, how do you test for the safety?

Traditionally we'd take Kristine's leash off and let her jump in. Nowadays things are a little more sophisticated - We just bring extra models. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:28 pm

pablodiablo316 wrote:When choosing a natrual location for a shoot, how do you test for the safety?

Personally, I've always thought that the producers should hop in and test the pits themselves...what could be more obvious?

But I know that not all of them do!

Nessie, who hasn't got a pit
she hasn't tested
herself

YerKiddin

Postby YerKiddin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:08 am

Shoot. If I ever get to a point where I have my own pit, the only way I won't be the first person in is if someone shows up at just the right time and holds me off at gunpoint! ;-)

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:33 am

YerKiddin wrote:Shoot. If I ever get to a point where I have my own pit, the only way I won't be the first person in is if someone shows up at just the right time and holds me off at gunpoint! ;-)

Shoot...

If I feel like it.

Sink...

ALWAYS!

Nessie (fresh from the mudpit)

jack c

Postby jack c » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:15 am

A serious answer is to bring a long walking stick (like 8' tall) and poke the area before you step in. Even if it is deep, retain this stick, holding it horizontally as you step in and sink - it can be used for buoyancy and to push against the surface to get yourself out. But, unless you are weighed down with backpacks or heavy equipment, you are not going to sink under. The pole may help you pull yourself out after you have started to float at about chest-deep or so. Good luck.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:56 pm

When checking out a new spot, I usually wade in with a pair of flip flops or something on my feed and feel around for a while to make sure there's nothing in there that will scratch/cut. Not much more to it then that, just make sure the flip flops are ones you don't mind using. If they come off your feet in waist deep (or deeper) mud they're hard as hell to get back.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

pablodiablo316

Postby pablodiablo316 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I actually have only been in quicksand once and that was by accident walking along a beach, into a tital quicksand area that was not sign posted!

I am &ft tall so was not much of an issue apart from the sudden drop up to my knees in it. was more curious due to increased footage using real world locations. and the safety opf the models involved which I guess was kinda answered, I would say I am a fan of some of the peopels work posted here, and I think I own abput half of all the dvds Duncan has for sale on his site!

Return to “General Discussion”