Mud in the Netherlands

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
enerj29

Mud in the Netherlands

Postby enerj29 » Wed May 04, 2022 3:12 am

Planning a trip to the Netherlands/northern Germany this summer and was hoping to find some good mud areas. I've heard tales of the Wadden sea and would love to give it a visit. Does anyone know of any beaches or other secluded areas where I could find some mud at low tide?

I'd also like to visit one of the Frisian Islands - does anyone know if mud can be found around them as well?

bogbud

Re: Mud in the Netherlands

Postby bogbud » Wed May 04, 2022 5:49 am

There are some marked spots on our map.
The wadden-sea is mostly quite openly visible and also a nature reserve. So don't get caught... Hope you have experience with tidal areas. In germany, check the rivers Weser and Elbe from the mouth further inland. They are tidal, too and a bit more secluded. You should be able to find a lot of spots with Google earth. (open brown areas behind reeds are to be found)
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

enerj29

Re: Mud in the Netherlands

Postby enerj29 » Thu May 05, 2022 1:24 am

bogbud wrote:There are some marked spots on our map.
The wadden-sea is mostly quite openly visible and also a nature reserve. So don't get caught... Hope you have experience with tidal areas. In germany, check the rivers Weser and Elbe from the mouth further inland. They are tidal, too and a bit more secluded. You should be able to find a lot of spots with Google earth. (open brown areas behind reeds are to be found)

Thanks! I checked the map but there's only one or two pins and I'm sure many more places than that. I saw some videos of some kids playing in the mud at some of the beaches along the wadden sea, but not really sure if it would be ok for an adult to do that. Still, somewhere a little more secluded might be nice. If I can find an apartment/airbnb along a coast or river, that would make things easier. Thanks for your response.

Return to “General Discussion”