Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
somebodyelse

Re: Quicksand Island

Postby somebodyelse » Mon May 30, 2022 7:44 pm

Road trip!!! :lol:

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:49 am

Oh man, how do I get there? Sounds perfect! Was hoping the video would have some footage from the island tho.

06_Sonic

Postby 06_Sonic » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:03 pm

enerj29 wrote:Oh man, how do I get there? Sounds perfect! Was hoping the video would have some footage from the island tho.

Assuming you can just sail there, provided you are in the area where the island is by anyway. Maybe you could make some footage on the island lol :lol:

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:23 pm

06_Sonic wrote: ....Assuming you can just sail there, provided you are in the area where the island is by anyway. Maybe you could make some footage on the island lol :lol:

A sailboat would be a poor choice for several obvious reasons.

Draft
Visibility
Mooring/Beaching difficulties
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

06_Sonic

Postby 06_Sonic » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:11 am

dlodoski wrote:A sailboat would be a poor choice for several obvious reasons.

True. The hovercraft stated earlier would be much better.

Slugjaba1922

Postby Slugjaba1922 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:20 am

I could take a trip out there one of these days. I would like someone to go with just not by myself. I live in North Carolina so I could either drive out there for a vacation or take a flight over there. But I'd really prefer if I did take a trip out there in my car if I could. Heck I might even film it for my Youtube n stuff. If you guys get the boat I'll tag along. I got my own camping/survival gear I won't need any loner equipment.

Chaz Targrin

Postby Chaz Targrin » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:58 pm

Honestly, I'd love if a bunch of us could pool together for a trip out that way, that would be incredible!

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:26 am

Chaz Targrin wrote:Honestly, I'd love if a bunch of us could pool together for a trip out that way, that would be incredible!

I'd consider that as well. How far is it out into the water? I also have to wonder if it's polluted at all? But think of it, bring tents, food, coolers, hang out and get all muddy during the day, make some food and camp and repeat the next day.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:15 am

POINT TO PONDER:

I don't wanna be the dream-buster here, but keep[ in mine that the island is a circular sand berm filled with dredging. I'd do a little research first and find out dredged WHERE and WHAT.

Make sure the muck is not toxic like the stuff I have here in the south San Francisco bay. Enough mud for all here, but loaded with Mercury from run-off coming from quicksilver mines in the nearby foothills in the 19th and early 20th century, plus whatever discards has washed in there via creeks over last 2 centuries of occupation and population growth.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:39 pm

BogDog wrote:POINT TO PONDER:

I don't wanna be the dream-buster here, but keep[ in mine that the island is a circular sand berm filled with dredging. I'd do a little research first and find out dredged WHERE and WHAT.

Make sure the muck is not toxic like the stuff I have here in the south San Francisco bay. Enough mud for all here, but loaded with Mercury from run-off coming from quicksilver mines in the nearby foothills in the 19th and early 20th century, plus whatever discards has washed in there via creeks over last 2 centuries of occupation and population growth.

Given the location on this it's going to be silt from the Mississippi or something very similar. Truly treacherous stuff.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Return to “General Discussion”