How would you have written it?...

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
jagfiles

How would you have written it?...

Postby jagfiles » Wed May 18, 2022 7:14 am

Here's a question for everyone. In a tv show or movie with a quicksand scene how would you have written it?
For example Psycho when the psychiatrist at the end was explaining the disapperance of the two girls and said to they were disposed of in the swamp this could have been done in a flash back.
"Mom" could have lured them into the swamp and watched both struggle as they both sank out of sight in a flash back sequence.

MadMax359

Re: How would you have written it?...

Postby MadMax359 » Wed May 18, 2022 12:02 pm

i would have put two scenes into Swamp Thing (the Adrienne Barbeau version)

first, when Agent Cable decides to take a relaxing bath in a pond... on the way out she goes to the wrong part of the bank and slips into a patch of quicksand... and she's already wearing nothing!

second, when she and the others have escaped from the dungeon, instead of being stabbed she runs into a patch of quicksand and is steadily sinking while Swamp Thing and the villain fight it out... in this case i'd even go for a full submergence since in the final scene she needs to be revived by his healing touch! :twisted:
The strong do what they want, the weak do what they must

jagfiles

Postby jagfiles » Wed May 18, 2022 6:54 pm

In 1987 the movie Facts of Life Goes to Australia aired where the Eastland students visited their sister school in Australia and get involved in a diamond smuggling operation.
A quicksand scene could have been worked into the movie. For example the girls are being followed by the thieves and the four of the split up in the outback into pairs. I think it would have worked better if Jo and Blair wound up in it because of this. Jo starts to panic as they sink while surprisingly Blair is the calm one that comes up with a plan to get them out.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Thu May 19, 2022 9:16 am

IN the sad state of the movie world today (for us anyway), even if swamp thing had quicksand in it the stuff probably would have been hidden under murky water, the cheapest method to shoot a QS scene because it doesn't require any. I don't think Swampy had the biggest budget back then in 1982.

Checking ............... Yeppers..... only $2.5 million, and made under budget. In the same year "E.T." was $10 million and "Star Trek Wrath of Kahn" was $12,000,000. Even "Tootsie", the second highest grossing in 1982 was made for $21 mil.

They skimped on our Swamp Thing movies, the fiends!
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu May 19, 2022 5:26 pm

Tarzan and the She-Devil (1953) - This little movie isn't great in the pantheon of Tarzan flicks but it's got a moment I've always enjoyed. There's a really good "almost" scene that has Jane (Joyce MacKenzie) falling into a swampy hole where she struggles to get herself out with the standard threatening snake, breaking vines, collapsing tree stumps, etc. I'd have written it just the way it was almost but it would be obvious quicksand she was fighting and she would have gone completely under before slowly extricating herself by grabbing a vine. Which is what happens anyway. I'm very fond of wet jungle girls and she does a great job of that as the scene ends. Making it even better would have been for this quicksand to serve as the fate for the Lyra, the She Devil (Monique Van Vooren). She was a stacked up tough for this movie and it's a shame the quicksand doesn't have a shot at her. As a kinky side note, the director wanted to suggest a substantial passage of time during the struggle so the scene cuts to Tarzan (Lex Barker) tied up by his captors, being stared at by the closeted Raymond Burr. :mrgreen:

Here's a link to the movie but it's not a great copy - The scene begins about 38:45. Make sure you stay until she gets out - Tarzan and the She Devil
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

06_Sonic

Postby 06_Sonic » Sat May 21, 2022 1:42 am

The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind (the Netflix movie), yes don't be asking questions as to why this deserves one.

During the "rain" reason, there is a part where (whoever the guy was) was trying to plough his field, but the rain caused it to turn into mud. I think it would've been a little better if it was more than just his plough and hands getting stuck for a few seconds before cutting to somewhere else.

Ottoklein

Postby Ottoklein » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:30 am

The Lost City.

Sandra Bullock and Channing Tatum get separated after removing leeches from Tatum, and As Bullock looks for something in the plants to help him get better, she sees a MacGuffin flower. She walks over to pick it and ends up in thick, black mud. She starts to panic, realizes she’s acting stupid, then stops and reaches for the bush. She holds onto the bush and pulls herself out, then we cut to her returning to Tatum, who would ask something like, “what happened with you?”

Return to “General Discussion”