Where to sink in mid MI

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Quicksink76

Where to sink in mid MI

Postby Quicksink76 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:46 am

The quicksand map has no spots near me, and locating anything deep has been a challenge.

Bird320

Re: Where to sink in mid MI

Postby Bird320 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:39 pm

got any creeks, rivers, or wetlands areas you can explore near you?

fetboy8

Postby fetboy8 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:38 am

Am curious where in Mid MI do you mean.... Lower of the lower peninsula or northern lower peninsula??? Upper peninsula? On the maps there are places around Grand Rapids and the best looking one is up near Langston, MI. Back in the early 80's I used to canoe down the Kalamazoo River from Battle Creek to Galesburg. There used to be spots on the inside of turns and such that you would think was solid ground but jump out of the canoe and you sank to your neck. Unfortunately that's 40 yrs ago and things have probably changed as they had to do that oil cleanup years ago on the river. Hoping to get up there in 2023 and possibly kayak or canoe down those areas and see if they're still there. I would bet rivers are still your best bet unless you sneak into a quarry.

Quicksink76

Postby Quicksink76 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:00 am

Bird320 wrote:got any creeks, rivers, or wetlands areas you can explore near you?

Yea, but around here pretty much any source of water is surrounded by people. I’ve managed to find a few semi-remote areas but the mud has been knee deep at best.

Quicksink76

Postby Quicksink76 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:15 am

Bird320 wrote:got any creeks, rivers, or wetlands areas you can explore near you?

Yea, but around here pretty much any source of water is surrounded by people. I’ve managed to find a few semi-remote areas but the mud has been knee deep at best.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:13 pm

The Pine River had good areas back in the 80's. I have canoed two distinctly different sections of it, but the stuff I heard about must have been downstream of both of those.

That's not to say that there wasn't anything on the upper sections. But if I canoe the Pine again, I will target the companies serving the most downstream sections - probably later in the summer.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Return to “General Discussion”