With age comes wisdom

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
reisen55

With age comes wisdom

Postby reisen55 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:30 pm

As I review my live sinking days, I now believe I am damn lucky to get out of alive. I used a small creek which had an enormously nice waist deep spot which is safe ...... yeah, right. A gazillion little creature holes around and god knows what lived there. I shudder at that thought. Second, damn lucky to have been discovered only once and fled in panic mode. So now enjoying memories of the insane days. Those were the days my friend.

Nessie
Producer

Re: With age comes wisdom

Postby Nessie » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:52 pm

reisen55 wrote:As I review my live sinking days, I now believe I am damn lucky to get out of alive.

Yep, those were the days. (Memories...)

One particular mudpit was 10 miles from my house.

Despite the fact that there was a parking lot, I often insisted on using a bicycle and I rode to it. Cleanup was knocking the big clods off before riding back home and letting the wind dry it 'til it flaked off. I lived off energy drinks, coffee, and snacks from gas stations to and from the sinking. I did this all summer, about 1-3 weeks between trips.

Except, there was one day...the day I ruined a red silk blouse. The skies opened up and dumped out a heavy storm about two miles into the ride home and it just didn't stop for hours.

Came home washed up as clean as a whistle.

That was now over a decade ago.

(Sigh)

Getting old...it sucks.

Nessie

PA Jack

Re: With age comes wisdom

Postby PA Jack » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:01 am

Ah, yes. When I was in my teens, I took some probably foolish chances, like taking blind leaps into boggy patches without having any idea how deep it was. The adrenaline rush for the one second in the air was a real kick. I only got caught once back then, by a friend named Cathy (as a previous Jack, I posted a story about her here years ago). That was in coastal Rhode Island, where there were many locations around salt ponds near the ocean.

As an adult here in Pennsylvania, there have been far fewer sinking areas. But even those were years ago, as age has caught up with me finally. However, the basic QS interest is a lifelong thing, and after a hiatus, I am back on the board.

You are right, Nessie, that getting old sucks. On the other hand, it does beat the alternative. By the way, your “back then” videos still look pretty darn good.

Return to “General Discussion”