Deceptive Movie Trailers

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
DarthMau

Deceptive Movie Trailers

Postby DarthMau » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:41 pm

Hi! In the middle of the week, I read a piece of news that caught my attention: two guys, both fans of the actress Ana de Armas, have sued Universal Pictures for misleading advertising, this because they rented the movie Yesterday, whose trailer contained fragments of scenes where the Cuban actress appears but in the final cut of the movie her character was removed; given this, these fans sued the studio for 5 million dollars for damages and prejudices, maybe this can be considered very exaggerated, but a judge determined that the trailer of this film falls into false advertising for presenting elements that don't appear in the film like the presence of Ana de Armas.

This leaves the door open for anyone to sue any studio if in one of its trailers presents elements that don't appear in the film or series, for example, in the Avengers Infinite Wars trailer, the Hulk can be seen running along with the Avengers in the climax battle or in the Spider-Man Homecoming trailer, Spidey swings over the city with Iron Man flying at his side, neither of these appear in their respective movies, so now the studios will have to be more careful with the trailers since they can be sued just for these examples.

I bring this topic to you because when I read this, I remembered the trailer for the movie The Frogs, which has fragments of the scene of the woman who dies by falling into quicksand, but in the film the scene was replaced by the death of the same woman but by snake bites or the promotional poster of the first Evil Dead where a woman is dragged into the ground by the arm of a corpse, something that did not appear in the film; I remember that I was upset when I saw these movies and these scenes did not appear.

What do you think about it?... Would you do the same as these guys?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ana-armas-fans-know-may-190200705.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fred588
Producer

Re: Deceptive Movie Trailers

Postby Fred588 » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:46 pm

I am not an attorney but although the plaintiffs here are correct about false advertising, the requested damages are absurd. They are certainly entitled to a refund of their purchase price, but what other damages have they suffered?
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:59 pm

Fred588 wrote:I am not an attorney but although the plaintiffs here are correct about false advertising, the requested damages are absurd. They are certainly entitled to a refund of their purchase price, but what other damages have they suffered?

None but people who are attorneys are hell bent on getting rich while destroying civilization. There's a long tradition of posters and previews that have stuff missing in the final edit so this nothing new. I'll never forget the Disney Channel behind the scenes look at the making of George of the Jungle. It shows George diving into quicksand to save Ursula after she's gone under. The channel fan magazine has a photo of Leslie Mann covered in gunk and seated on Brendan Frazier's then substantial shoulders in the bog with a caption about having to make their own quicksand. None of this buildup of expectations made it to the screen. I'd trade any realistic settlement for the scene.

Addendum - I'll also add that I was a victim of the Frogs scene too. Not only was I expecting to see quicksand but the theater had a giant frog with red glowing eyes and a human arm dangling from its mouth, on the roof. Talk about a let down. Such simple times. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

jagfiles

Postby jagfiles » Sat Dec 24, 2022 9:25 pm

I definately concur that is false advertising when that is done.
I definately remember seeing a video copy of Frogs with a clip of the woman wondering into quicksand. Yet in the movie it wasnt included
Filing a multimillion dollar lawsuit is a bit excessive though.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:18 am

As for the legal aspect of this, I don't think that finding a movie to be disappointing in some way is really worth more than the price of its purchase. It would be true that deliberately false advertising is, yes, unethical and wrong, and I'm okay with some consequences for that. The price of a movie ticket or the price of the Blu-ray is reasonable if you bought it based on information that turned out to be a total lie.

But it's just not on the level of lies that cause actual damage or hide heinous acts.

However, this thread does bring back a memory. A long time ago and a whole world in the past, before I ever knew that I was not the only one into quicksand, I rented this movie and stacked two VCRs to copy it based solely on this promotional picture.

It wasn't like there were no sinking scenes. There were three.

But not this scene. If you want to see this scene, with this exact woman sinking, wearing that bikini, "Blood Beach" does not contain it.

I think that the video rental place should have refunded me $1.50.

Nessie

DangerGirl

Postby DangerGirl » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:32 am

Anyone remember this scene from Rogue One in the movie?

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:07 pm

Nessie wrote:...However, this thread does bring back a memory. A long time ago and a whole world in the past, before I ever knew that I was not the only one into quicksand, I rented this movie and stacked two VCRs to copy it based solely on this promotional picture.

It wasn't like there were no sinking scenes. There were three.

But not this scene. If you want to see this scene, with this exact woman sinking, wearing that bikini, "Blood Beach" does not contain it.

I think that the video rental place should have refunded me $1.50.

Nessie

HA! Almost exactly the same thing for me. Saw that picture and nearly trampled some kid to get to it. In the greatest bad movie fashion it was oneof those Roger Corman moments where they concocted a title and a poster before making the movie.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:38 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:
HA! Almost exactly the same thing for me. Saw that picture and nearly trampled some kid to get to it. In the greatest bad movie fashion it was oneof those Roger Corman moments where they concocted a title and a poster before making the movie.

They had about a decade to correct the error. Released in 1981, I think I found the tape sometime in the 1990s...and that WAS the actual cover.

It feels good to know that I was not alone in being victimized by the Blood Beach Quicksand Scam.

Nessie

Theo

Postby Theo » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:02 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:None but people who are attorneys are hell bent on getting rich while destroying civilization. There's a long tradition of posters and previews that have stuff missing in the final edit so this nothing new. I'll never forget the Disney Channel behind the scenes look at the making of George of the Jungle. It shows George diving into quicksand to save Ursula after she's gone under. The channel fan magazine has a photo of Leslie Mann covered in gunk and seated on Brendan Frazier's then substantial shoulders in the bog with a caption about having to make their own quicksand. None of this buildup of expectations made it to the screen. I'd trade any realistic settlement for the scene.

Addendum - I'll also add that I was a victim of the Frogs scene too. Not only was I expecting to see quicksand but the theater had a giant frog with red glowing eyes and a human arm dangling from its mouth, on the roof. Talk about a let down. Such simple times. :D

To further illustrate Duncan's point, I seem to recall this post a while back: Happy Tina Louise in "quicksand"

I've long thought that bloodsucking attorney's and rising insurance premiums are part of the reason why everything's more expensive today. Given how abundant attorney's there are, it's ironic that I heard on the news recently, that there's a shortage of public defenders. Maybe the attorneys who are working on this, and other BS cases, like the Velveeta Macaroni and Cheese case should be conscripted to be public defenders so that they might actually do something productive to society for a change.
Finally broke down and went to see a psychologist. She told me I just have an overactive imagination—and it really excited her. We're going sinking next weekend. Theo's AI Quicksandbox New stuff every weekend (unless life gets in the way)

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:07 am

DangerGirl wrote:Anyone remember this scene from Rogue One in the movie?

Yeah, I REALLY wanted to see how that unfolded! I'd'a gone to the film even if that moment hadn't been in a trailer, but wow! Can you imagine? Grimly limping straight at a TIE fighter with only a handgun? How did she get there? How will she reach her objective? Why did that scene get cut?!?!
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to “General Discussion”