What have I found here?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Swooshy

What have I found here?

Postby Swooshy » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:37 pm

Hello all. This is not my first time here. Had a complicated time last year, went through a life Renaissance, had my old account deleted. But I decided to come back, both here and sinking.

In my travels, I came across this..... it's the most strange thing I found yet. When you're going down the road, it looks like a few piles of dirt, at the entrance of what construction workers have been using to store bits and bobs of their equipment. When you walk up to it, it's what was described to me on reddit, and what I thought, was a settling pit. I would go back later at night and take the plunge (BTW, this central Florida, home of the False Winter). The consistency is like a sandy, muddy watery mix, with the bottom foot and a half being a thick clay like mud. I crawled all around the pit, and noticed it was a lot more watery towards the 2 corners, but i couldn't find any sort of source where it was being fed. I could still feel vegetation at the bottom.

So to ask the experts, what's the point of this being here, and what will be eventually used for? I know the land that this is on will eventually developed into residential and shopping centers. All I know is Thursday night the low will only be 66, and that's the highest it's gonna be for a while, so imal make sure this next time is a good time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bird320

Re: What have I found here?

Postby Bird320 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:07 am

You can check your county's website to see if they have any GIS/mapping data available. If they do, look for aerial imaging and go back some years and see if you can see anything interesting. You can also sometimes see tax history for the parcel. I think Google Earth has some historical aerial imaging data too.

I wonder if excess construction waste or something was dumped there and not let to dry properly? No idea. Maybe an old settling pond.

Return to “General Discussion”