train track mud/qs?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
CreamyClayK

train track mud/qs?

Postby CreamyClayK » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:40 pm

there's a lot of unused train tracks here in the rust belt of America, they get maybe one or two trains passing by per month. I love to walk up and down the tracks and I always see really good looking mud on the sides but i'm scared to try it for a couple reasons
first, it would be just my luck for a train to come by and have the conductor/passengers see me
second, i'm not sure if it's safe to be that close to trains as they pass by, and
third, i always worry that there's harmful chemicals in the dirt that get left behind by trains (not like the crash in east palestine, but just regular use)

if anyone has any insight it would be much appreciated, sinking season is coming quickly and im excited to try out the spots i've been stalking all winter!

Mworm650

Re: train track mud/qs?

Postby Mworm650 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:38 am

Also being form northeastern ohio I've thought the same thing. As to possible contamination I don't think that's an issue unless there was a derailment. As to spots I've noticed they tend to be lower then the tracks and far enough away that a passing train wouldn't be a hazard. And honestly don't think if one was enjoying the mud that any conductor would notice.

Bird320

Postby Bird320 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:32 am

There's a bike trail near me that used to be a railroad track that has some good looking spots along it. If only it weren't a bike trail :roll: but that's a good idea. Lol maybe bring a camo ground blind? That way you're somewhat hidden or can be quick if you hear a train coming.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Tue Feb 28, 2023 5:59 pm

I've run across some drainage ditches/basins near train tracks that looked good but were never more than calf deep.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

jagfiles

Postby jagfiles » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:12 pm

One thought came to me about using some kind of blind to hide from the tracks. One hand try not to make the blind too conspecious because could wind up attracting too much attention.
A while ago I was chatting with a gal online where her and her boyfriend found this good sinking spot that just happen to be right near a hiking path. She said one time they were both in it together a passerby happen to be strolling by and said the most interesting to them. She said the passerby asked them "What time is it?" Go figure

Return to “General Discussion”