Finally got to sink

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
linuxusr

Finally got to sink

Postby linuxusr » Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:27 pm

Hope this is the place to put this. I'm normally not that active in here but I had to share my latest experience since I haven't been in actual mud/qs in about 15 years. I used to go to neighborhood construction sites as a teen and in college since they would dredge retention ponds and the run off would be amazing to explore. But priorities change as life goes on as well as not wanting to be trespassed as an older guy. Anyway, we moved to our neighborhood 7 years ago. They have a pedestrian trail that goes from our area to near downtown, about 2.5 miles each way. We've rode bikes may times, especially during covid. There is a nice park there with picnic benches, bathrooms and mini golf course. There is also a path that goes around a lake. We've walked down there a few times in the past but never really paid attention to it until my son recently took up fishing this year. Anyway, one day he called me to pick him up since he didn't feel like biking the 15 minutes home when it is a 5 minute car ride. I said OK and headed over there. Walking on the path to get him I noticed the creek next to the lake was low and saw a lot of exposed mud. Took note of it as it did look really nice but bad timing. I think I just knew that it would be fun to explore like the old days. Fast forward about a week later, I took the day off of work as I needed to have a few contractors come to the house for various reasons so I stacked them on the same day. For once, everyone was on time or early so I found myself with some spare time. Having been thinking about this place, I figured why not go check it out. If nothing else, I would know the lay of the land of where he was going to fish. Put on a swim suit, crappy shirt and grabbed a fishing pole as my cover story. Walked down the path and there was one guy watching nexflix, a woman and 2 kids and another guy fishing in the lake. Little disappointed by the activity but I decided to fish for a bit anyway and see what happened (didn't even get a bite). Water level was a bit higher in the creek but I could still see some spots. 15 minutes later the lady left so I moved down a bit. Shortly after, netflix guy left so I found a place to enter the creek area with my fishing pole. Nothing great, ankle to calf deep but it was a place where the bank wasn’t that steep so it was a safe entry/exit point. Found a few places that I got to knee deep if I worked it a bit which felt nice. Kept casting and moving around. Finally found a place that looks like a nice peaty area. Threw out a cast and walked over like my bait was stuck. Immediately sunk to my upper thigh with no problem. Brought my other leg around and same thing. Pumped my legs a bit and got down to my hips with no sign of slowing. Being a public area, I decided to get out which was easy to do. Kept exploring for about 20 minutes and found other areas similar, some great thicker mud. Anyway didn't want to chance my luck of getting seen by a passerby so I waded through the creek to clean up as best I could and left. I threw a towel down on my seat and drove home to do a full cleanup. Definitely going back at some point but it was great to experience that after so long. Almost forgot what it felt like to be sinking.

Bird320

Re: Finally got to sink

Postby Bird320 » Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:34 am

Very nice! Too bad it's in a somewhat exposed area, but always exhilarating doing it when you haven't in a while. Starts to spark the idea to go out looking for more...

The rivers and ponds near me are full of water right now, hoping they go down soon.

Lintime Sinker

Re: Finally got to sink

Postby Lintime Sinker » Fri May 05, 2023 9:16 pm

Come back here during the night. :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion”