Confined Disposal Facilities

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Slugjaba1922

Re: Confined Disposal Facilities

Postby Slugjaba1922 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:08 pm

goo_lagoon wrote:
dlodoski wrote:
goo_lagoon wrote: ...The CDF I was at was federal property so I was trespassing, so I knew that being caught would be much more than an embarrassment. But I went on exploring it anyway.

The mud was seriously the best mud I’ve ever experienced. ....

From my experience, there are different levels of 'Federal'. On one end, there are National Monuments/Parks - and on the other end, BLM (Bureau of Land Management), which is as close to you get to "Well, somebody has to 'own' it". In other words, if you don't cross a fence, it's hard to get busted for trespass.

(Ok, standard disclaimers - don't sink alone etc.).

The area was fenced off and had a gate with a sign that said “ARMY CORPS OF ENGINEERS AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY” and the site looked like it was regularly maintained so I’m not sure if I’d want to go back lol. There’s another CDF down the canal with signs that say there’s 24 hr surveillance so that spooks me a bit. I haven’t seen those signs or any cameras at the one I sank at though

Sounds like the spot in georgia that is a bit too far for me to travel to. I've not gone because of the army bit. Yeah there are probably cameras you just can't see them. That and microphones possibly. My idea for spotting the cameras would be to get a pocket sized hidden camera detector on amazon for under 20 bucks. Go at night and you'll find them if their are any. There is this spot in georgia that definitely want to try but it's like a 5 hour drive for me. So idk if I'd go that's a lot of gas for me.

Slugjaba1922

Postby Slugjaba1922 » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:20 pm

goo_lagoon wrote:Has anyone had any experience with CDFs (areas where materials from river dredging is stored)? Earlier in spring I found one with what looked like tons of mud on a canal next to a public beach.

CDFs are elevated pretty high up with massive dykes on the whole perimeter of them, so I didn’t need to worry about the people at the beach, but I was in plain view of the ferry terminal across the canal hiking to/from the spot (I wasn’t able to be seen by them at the sinking location), plus there were lots of planes and helicopters flying pretty frequently overhead as well.

The CDF I was at was federal property so I was trespassing, so I knew that being caught would be much more than an embarrassment. But I went on exploring it anyway.

The mud was seriously the best mud I’ve ever experienced. It was completely 100% smooth black mud and had different areas of thickness ranging from watery to super thick. Most of it was waist deep, but I found an area towards the back that was bottomless and I sank to my chin! I didn’t go all the way under because there was no area to safely clean up at, so I brought a couple gallons of water and rags and cleaned myself the best I could and quickly walked back to the car hoping not to be seen and got out of there.

I’ve since been wanting to go back there but the trespassing and privacy issues have kept me from going back since I’m afraid I won’t be as lucky next time. The mud was so nice and heavenly and I thought I’d share my experience!

There are a lot of CDF's down in the south carolina charleston harbor.

goo_lagoon

Postby goo_lagoon » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:30 am

Slugjaba1922 wrote:
goo_lagoon wrote:Has anyone had any experience with CDFs (areas where materials from river dredging is stored)? Earlier in spring I found one with what looked like tons of mud on a canal next to a public beach.

CDFs are elevated pretty high up with massive dykes on the whole perimeter of them, so I didn’t need to worry about the people at the beach, but I was in plain view of the ferry terminal across the canal hiking to/from the spot (I wasn’t able to be seen by them at the sinking location), plus there were lots of planes and helicopters flying pretty frequently overhead as well.

The CDF I was at was federal property so I was trespassing, so I knew that being caught would be much more than an embarrassment. But I went on exploring it anyway.

The mud was seriously the best mud I’ve ever experienced. It was completely 100% smooth black mud and had different areas of thickness ranging from watery to super thick. Most of it was waist deep, but I found an area towards the back that was bottomless and I sank to my chin! I didn’t go all the way under because there was no area to safely clean up at, so I brought a couple gallons of water and rags and cleaned myself the best I could and quickly walked back to the car hoping not to be seen and got out of there.

I’ve since been wanting to go back there but the trespassing and privacy issues have kept me from going back since I’m afraid I won’t be as lucky next time. The mud was so nice and heavenly and I thought I’d share my experience!

Oh is that what I'm sinking in at the beach. Huh didn't know it was that. Yeah I have some paid content of my CDF on umd. It's just as you say it is. Though swear that it literally just is pluff mud.

Yeah it is pluff mud, it’s the pluff mud that was at the bottom of a navigable waterway dredged and pumped through pipes to the CDF where it then settles

goo_lagoon

Postby goo_lagoon » Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:42 am

I just went back last Tuesday and unfortunately this is what it looks like now, all dried up :( I guess you gotta go within 2 months after dredging has been done to get some of the best mud you can find anywhere… oh well maybe next time
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:05 pm

Did you try to sink? That doesn't look dried up to me, just crusted over.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Slugjaba1922

Postby Slugjaba1922 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:07 pm

goo_lagoon wrote:I just went back last Tuesday and unfortunately this is what it looks like now, all dried up :( I guess you gotta go within 2 months after dredging has been done to get some of the best mud you can find anywhere… oh well maybe next time

plug up where the water exits and wait for a weeks long rain storm. Come back that stuff will be super wet and deep. Or go early season.

Slugjaba1922

Postby Slugjaba1922 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:08 pm

Mynock wrote:Did you try to sink? That doesn't look dried up to me, just crusted over.

If you lift up the crust its gonna be wet underneath. It's a temporary fix but it works.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:04 pm

Slugjaba1922 wrote:If you lift up the crust its gonna be wet underneath. It's a temporary fix but it works.

That's what I was thinking, my settling ponds do the exact same thing.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

CreamyClayK

Postby CreamyClayK » Fri Jul 28, 2023 3:58 am

how do you find CDF like this? whenever i search them up all i find is junkyards and garbage dumps

goo_lagoon

Postby goo_lagoon » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:38 am

Mynock wrote:Did you try to sink? That doesn't look dried up to me, just crusted over.

I got to about waist deep but couldn’t go any deeper. I probably didn’t dig enough of the dry layer out of the way, but underneath it did feel nice and wet down there

Return to “General Discussion”