OBI-wan

Missed opportunity

Postby OBI-wan » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:27 am

Sharon Stone King Solomon’s Mines
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

PA Jack

Re: Missed opportunity

Postby PA Jack » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:05 am

The classic missed opportunity, I think, was Adrienne Barbeau in “Swamp Thing” - they even mentioned that there was quicksand around and then didn’t follow through. Another recent one was Sandra Bullock in “The Lost City”; all the elements were there, even the swamp, but again a no-go. I remember, also, going to the Bo Derek “Tarzan, the Ape Man” movie at Penn State in 1981 with very high hopes; again, all the elements were present, even the murky swamp pool, but all we got was a snake (not too bad at that, but what a QS scene that would have been).
Formerly jack c, years ago.

MadMax359

Postby MadMax359 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:38 am

PA Jack wrote:The classic missed opportunity, I think, was Adrienne Barbeau in “Swamp Thing” - they even mentioned that there was quicksand around and then didn’t follow through. Another recent one was Sandra Bullock in “The Lost City”; all the elements were there, even the swamp, but again a no-go. I remember, also, going to the Bo Derek “Tarzan, the Ape Man” movie at Penn State in 1981 with very high hopes; again, all the elements were present, even the murky swamp pool, but all we got was a snake (not too bad at that, but what a QS scene that would have been).

Swamp Thing saw my high hopes dashed! in the final showdown, she was wearing an amazing dress!
The strong do what they want, the weak do what they must

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:50 pm

Three flicks for which I had such very high hopes. Unfortunately John Derek was a wetlook fetishist. So close on that one. According to various legends, likely apocryphal anyway, Swamp Thing missed out on a scene because Adrienne didn't want to do it or the budget ran out. King Solomon's Mines was a Canon production which means everything about it is going to be disappointing unless you're Chuck Norris. I will give them credit for one amazing moment with Phoebe Cates. Anyhow, maybe before I die, somebody in Hollywood will put together a really fabulous lady in a great scene. It's been quite a while now.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

PA Jack

Postby PA Jack » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:38 am

MadMax359 wrote:
PA Jack wrote:The classic missed opportunity, I think, was Adrienne Barbeau in “Swamp Thing” - they even mentioned that there was quicksand around and then didn’t follow through. Another recent one was Sandra Bullock in “The Lost City”; all the elements were there, even the swamp, but again a no-go. I remember, also, going to the Bo Derek “Tarzan, the Ape Man” movie at Penn State in 1981 with very high hopes; again, all the elements were present, even the murky swamp pool, but all we got was a snake (not too bad at that, but what a QS scene that would have been).

Swamp Thing saw my high hopes dashed! in the final showdown, she was wearing an amazing dress!

Yes, the long white, tight dress would have been dynamite in a QS scene. She might have been the most attractive body ever to sink.

PA Jack

Postby PA Jack » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:48 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:Three flicks for which I had such very high hopes. Unfortunately John Derek was a wetlook fetishist. So close on that one. According to various legends, likely apocryphal anyway, Swamp Thing missed out on a scene because Adrienne didn't want to do it or the budget ran out. King Solomon's Mines was a Canon production which means everything about it is going to be disappointing unless you're Chuck Norris. I will give them credit for one amazing moment with Phoebe Cates. Anyhow, maybe before I die, somebody in Hollywood will put together a really fabulous lady in a great scene. It's been quite a while now.

Duncan, I’ll put this to you and to anyone else who wants to chime in. Why do you think the damsel-in-distress quicksand scene has fallen so far out of favor? I agree with your hope for a future scene. Is it just too out of touch now to have a helpless female scene? I don’t think the Vera Miles scene was insulting - the nurse character was being brave and just got lost. Anyway, I guess we can all just hope.

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:17 pm

It's been written about is semi-mainstream media. Take a look!

https://www.slate.com/articles/health_a ... firma.html
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:45 pm

Another missed opportunity. Lovewrecked with Amanda Bynes. It took place in a jungle, she wore two hot bikinis, she was wet. I mean, shit!
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

PA Jack

Postby PA Jack » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:03 am

Chimerix wrote:It's been written about is semi-mainstream media. Take a look!

https://www.slate.com/articles/health_a ... firma.html

Thanks very much for the link to the article - I knew of the piece, but I had never read it. Interesting reading, for sure. I still welcome anyone’s opinions on why QS has slipped beneath the surface, so to speak, of current filmography. What do you all think?

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:32 pm

PA Jack wrote:Duncan, I’ll put this to you and to anyone else who wants to chime in. Why do you think the damsel-in-distress quicksand scene has fallen so far out of favor? I agree with your hope for a future scene. Is it just too out of touch now to have a helpless female scene? I don’t think the Vera Miles scene was insulting - the nurse character was being brave and just got lost. Anyway, I guess we can all just hope.

Damsels in general have been ruined by political correctness just like everything else. Disney is currently trying to sort out a mess where the star of the miserable politically correct remake of Snow White referred to the Prince as a creepy stalker. That doesn't leave much room for women in peril.

Now unlike parts of our fetish, reality actually favors us here. Any of the ladies at work needs something reached, lifted, carried, we get the call. My wife is a fitness instructor and a very capable, physically formidable woman, who won't squish a spider. For damn sure she wouldn't deal with all the rats in the barn. If you really want the attention of the woman who loves you, go kill something for her. Works great. Nowdays in the movies it takes someone with super-outsize charisma like Dwayne Johnson to utter a line like Woman, I am the cavalry! and women gasp for all the right reasons. What we get most often is 100 pound women on screen throwing huge guys around like physics is an evil part of political correctness too. Girls are now taught by much of popular culture that if they aren't just like men they are somehow less than perfect. You're never going to get them screaming hysterically for a man to come save them from anything much less our favorite jungle hazard.

But I'll keep working on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Return to “General Discussion”