Favorite Scene and Why

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
jack c

Favorite Scene and Why

Postby jack c » Sat May 09, 2009 11:24 pm

At the known risk of recycling an endless question, I'll do it, anyway. Not sure if the posters on this forum have rung in on DS. Movies and TV: what are your top favorite scenes, and exactly what about these scenes put them in your "Oscar/Emmy" list?

I'll go first; my top 10:

1. Tarzan's Hidden Jungle (no surprise) - great actress - perhaps the best ever in such a scene, good 10 minute build-up to the plunge, good struggling, corny but great pull-out (how come Vera Miles has curls in her hair some of the time, and straight blonde hair in most of the shots? Had to be filmed twice ).
2. Valley of Mystery (ditto) - also good actress, nice dress, nice struggle with arms in and out, excellent slow descent from chest to neck deep - arms in, decent if bumbling rescue scene (no way is that a real vine, all neatly tied like a Boy Scout project; also spliced from two filming takes).
3. All My Children - because of the extended conversation with her shoulder deep, good rescue sequence, too bad she falls on her butt rather than sinking in slowly.
4. Shelby Woo - award for best quicksand, too short and edited, I like how she pulls herself out (great!), I knew the actress was much older than her part.
5. Rifleman - yes, she's too young (hope just this mention is not out of bounds, here), but it is still a good sequence, good quicksand, good initial small submergence and slow sink, actress does convincing job of fear, terror - bumbling rescue mars it a bit.
6. Dukes of Hazzard (Daisy) - need I say more? actress, outfit, quicksand is OK, good pullout sequence with her being pulled sideways through what is somewhat convincingly thick mud, too bad it is done way too quickly (no pun intended).
7. Flying Nun - too short and edited, but Sally Fields is cute and the white habit and dark muck are good counterpoint.
8. Amuck - the perfect scene, extended sink, actress reactions are all just right, but my copies of the video are so blurred it is hard to appreciate.
9. Xena - bad dry quicksand, but the actresses are too good to ignore - any scene where the heroine pulls herself out rocks.
10. Hercules TV - quicksand too dry but still OK movement, great buxom actress, good extended pullout (even the obligatory rope-break), too bad it starts at such a deep submergence - ditch the boy!

- jack c

Edit #1 - By the way, I am lmthj on the Deep Sinking Forum, so I didn't plagiarize the lmthj list from DS - I merely paraphrased it here. It is my list both places - thanks.
Last edited by jack c on Sun May 10, 2009 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

water_bug_62208

Re: Favorite Scene and Why

Postby water_bug_62208 » Sun May 10, 2009 12:45 am

Favorite scene from movies and TV... Bare Essentials

I've always wanted to see Lisa Hartman get stuck in the mud or quicksand and sink because she has an adorable face, a sexy body, and very nice and shapely thighs and calves. I had always wondered what her legs would look like stuck and struggling in quicksand or mud. So, imagine my thrill when I saw her stumble into quicksand in Bare Essentials.

In the Quicksand Scene in this movie, she's wearing a bikini with a white shirt that showed off her wonderful, bare legs quite well. She was also wearing white shoes (not sneakers, but they'll do). The jungle background was perfect, squelching sounds as she walked into the quicksand added to the overall atmosphere, and her jerking to a sudden stop and pitching forward as her feet became stuck fast was perfect. Also, her pulling back on her legs with a slight grunt and a barely audible, "I'm stuck," were nice touches. Her struggling legs, her unsuccessful efforts to get free, and her gradual sinking made this scene. Her failed attempt at escape when the branch she grabbed added some nice drama.

jack c

Postby jack c » Sun May 10, 2009 1:54 am

water_bug - I have this scene on VHS (yeah, I know - ancient technology). Lisa Hartman is, indeed, one of the cuter actresses to film a quicksand scene, and dressed in (almost) just the shirt, she is extremely appealing. It just missed my top 10 because it was a short scene. Its brevity is, however, compensated for by its quality. The broken stick is a good touch. Thanks for the feedback.

claykid

Postby claykid » Sun May 10, 2009 2:48 am

I've always wanted to see Lisa Hartman get stuck in the mud or quicksand and sink because she has an adorable face, a sexy body, and very nice and shapely thighs and calves. I had always wondered what her legs would look like stuck and struggling in quicksand or mud. So, imagine my thrill when I saw her stumble into quicksand in Bare Essentials.

couldnt have said it better myself :shock: :D

quagmire_uk

Postby quagmire_uk » Sun May 10, 2009 10:58 am

Maybe I'm thinking of another scene, cause I thought that Bare Essentials scene didn't actually show any shots of her in the quicksand. No shots of her legs and the mud itself. Just her standing in a pot-hole pretending to be stuck or something.

I guess I'm remembering wrongly! Heh.

undergrain1

Postby undergrain1 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:18 am

I'm not sure I have a favrite, but i think Beastmaster original movie with Singer had a very good scene because its not watery, its nice and sandy, and even better, it was the quicksand of myth not reality, because it was actually going to swallow Dar unless he got help! now thats quicksand thats really ominous and dramatic - how will the victim escape their fate?! whoda thunk itd be a couple of rodents!

one of my least favrites is 6 Million $ man - episodd where Dr Rudy Wells is bitten by a chimp, has great strength like Austin, and ends up in quicksand. it was more like a pond with some 'sand' floating on the top - not at all convincing, not like the one in thefirst season in the everglades.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Mon May 11, 2009 4:05 pm

water_bug_62208 wrote:Favorite scene from movies and TV... Bare Essentials

In the Quicksand Scene in this movie, she's wearing a bikini with a white shirt that showed off her wonderful, bare legs quite well. She was also wearing white shoes (not sneakers, but they'll do). The jungle background was perfect, squelching sounds as she walked into the quicksand added to the overall atmosphere, and her jerking to a sudden stop and pitching forward as her feet became stuck fast was perfect. Also, her pulling back on her legs with a slight grunt and a barely audible, "I'm stuck," were nice touches. Her struggling legs, her unsuccessful efforts to get free, and her gradual sinking made this scene. Her failed attempt at escape when the branch she grabbed added some nice drama.

This is for you Waterbug - Given where I live I get to see Lisa occasionally and I guess I don't have to tell you what goes through my mind. Here's a snapshot of her at the local Christmas parade in 2006 when she was standing right in front of me. She still looks absolutely terrific. I temporarily lost my focus on the various nieces and nephews in the parade. 8-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:56 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:This is for you Waterbug - Given where I live I get to see Lisa occasionally and I guess I don't have to tell you what goes through my mind. Here's a snapshot of her at the local Christmas parade in 2006 when she was standing right in front of me. She still looks absolutely terrific. I temporarily lost my focus on the various nieces and nephews in the parade. 8-)

My apologies for the delay in replying, Duncan. I've been out of town for a week and just got caught up with the posts here at "Quicksand Fans."

IT'S LISA!!! :D Oh, yes, this is very cool! Thank you very much, Duncan! You've captured the roundness in her face that always catches my eye, and her hairstyle in the picture is my favorite. Lisa Hartman's got the legs of a Texas girl, especially her calves, and they look so wonderful struggling in the mire. :D

Thank you again, Duncan! This is a nice treat to come home to!

the fabolous sob

Postby the fabolous sob » Fri May 29, 2009 11:14 am

Wow! Lisa Hartman's still got it! & she's also still married to country singer Clint Black. I remember way back when she used to do a lot of TV movies b4 those disappeared from rabbit-ear TV a few years ago.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri May 29, 2009 12:31 pm

the fabolous sob wrote:Wow! Lisa Hartman's still got it! & she's also still married to country singer Clint Black. I remember way back when she used to do a lot of TV movies b4 those disappeared from rabbit-ear TV a few years ago.

Yes, he's standing next to her just out of frame. I have another shot that shows them both. He's a good guy in spite of always wearing a black Stetson. He's also much shorter than me but that doesn't appear to have hurt his chances any. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Return to “General Discussion”