How to quicksand

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Chimerix

How to quicksand

Postby Chimerix » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:48 pm

I found this video about how a filmmaker made a quicksand pit. Not the greatest sinking ever, but I've not seen content like this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16aMXRu9puY
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Fred588
Producer

Re: How to quicksand

Postby Fred588 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:48 pm

Chimerix wrote:I found this video about how a filmmaker made a quicksand pit. Not the greatest sinking ever, but I've not seen content like this before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16aMXRu9puY

OMG: This may be why movie tickets cost so much.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

williams64901qs

Postby williams64901qs » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:03 pm

It's really neat to see just how Hollywood special effects makes all of this look so realistic. If I can create stuff like this then I'd so do it!
8-) Such amazing stuff! Thanks so much for sharing this. :)

~williams64901qs
"Watch where you're standing in...it could be QUICKSAND!!!!"

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:14 am

So the victim even keeps dry and clean?
This is not my business. I will stay with the puddle with leaves on top. :lol:
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Boppinabe

Postby Boppinabe » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:32 am

Didn't Pamela Rose use a similar method?

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:10 pm

Boppinabe wrote:Didn't Pamela Rose use a similar method?

Rob went to a nearby beach for that "dry" look that some folks like. He was good at it.

This has never really worked for me. I read about it being used for the Lawrence of Arabia scene but I like at least a little dampness. Dry desert quicksand has been said to exist when winds pile sand up on one side of a big dune. The desert sand you encounter in the Middle East is fine powder compared to the course stuff here. It's slippery for lack of a better way to describe it. It's the result of the sand being blown around and pounded together for thousands of years. The finest stuff I've ever encountered on Gulf Coast beaches is like driveway gravel by comparison.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:12 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:

Rob went to a nearby beach for that "dry" look that some folks like. He was good at it.

This has never really worked for me. I read about it being used for the Lawrence of Arabia scene but I like at least a little dampness. Dry desert quicksand has been said to exist when winds pile sand up on one side of a big dune. The desert sand you encounter in the Middle East is fine powder compared to the course stuff here. It's slippery for lack of a better way to describe it. It's the result of the sand being blown around and pounded together for thousands of years. The finest stuff I've ever encountered on Gulf Coast beaches is like driveway gravel by comparison.

Yea, but in my mind he gets serious cred for being a middle-aged guy with a bad back, digging serious holes in heavy sand. Not really my thing either, but the scenes sold reasonably well.

My personal tastes for this look is that when the surface is dry, that some wetter stuff appears around the victim as the struggle goes on. Either way, Rob saw a viable way to keep going when there were no reasonable alternatives, and did.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

somebodyelse

Postby somebodyelse » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:43 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:

The one time I’ve been to Hawaii, the beach near the hotel literally was gravel. No waves. I was not impressed. But hey, I was able to climb Diamondhead, so there’s that. :D

somebodyelse

Postby somebodyelse » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:44 pm

He should have gotten his wife to do it. :D

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:05 pm

Thick, sticky mud. Everything else pales. ;)
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Return to “General Discussion”