Anyone in Pennsylvania know of any good sinking locations?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
williams64901qs

Anyone in Pennsylvania know of any good sinking locations?

Postby williams64901qs » Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:10 pm

Hello, fellow QS lovers! :D

I'm just curious to know if anyone from Pennsylvania knows of any good sinking locations? I know Pennsylvania is not the best state for any good QS (at least in my area anyway :( ) so maybe some of you may know of some spots to check out...preferably within the central Pennsylvania region, if possible. Thanks in advance! :)

~williams64901qs
"Watch where you're standing in...it could be QUICKSAND!!!!"

PA Jack

Re: Anyone in Pennsylvania know of any good sinking locations?

Postby PA Jack » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:18 am

Long ago, when I was at Penn State, I drove up to Black Moshannon State Forest, just west of State College. It wasn’t great, but there were a few thigh to waist deep spots not far off the back roadway just south of the airstrip on top of the ridge there. It was a mountain bog area. Don’t know which part of central Pa you are in. You’re right, though - PA is not a great place for deep mud or QS.
Formerly jack c, years ago.

williams64901qs

Postby williams64901qs » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:55 am

PA Jack wrote:Long ago, when I was at Penn State, I drove up to Black Moshannon State Forest, just west of State College. It wasn’t great, but there were a few thigh to waist deep spots not far off the back roadway just south of the airstrip on top of the ridge there. It was a mountain bog area. Don’t know which part of central Pa you are in. You’re right, though - PA is not a great place for deep mud or QS.

Ah ok. I'm roughly an hour and 15 minutes away from State College...so that's not too bad of a drive for me. I'll have to do some exploring when 2024 comes around as right now is not the best time to have any good sinkings. I just wish Pennsylvania had some decent QS though. Oh well. :( Thank you for your input. It's much appreciated. :)

~williams64901qs

PA Jack

Postby PA Jack » Sun Oct 22, 2023 3:52 am

Good luck and good sinking.
Formerly jack c, years ago.

williams64901qs

Postby williams64901qs » Sun Oct 22, 2023 6:04 pm

PA Jack wrote:Good luck and good sinking.

Thanks. I sure will. :D

~williams64901qs

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:07 pm

I'm in PA too and it's not the best place for sinking. I've found a few creeks and lakes that have been good now and then, and went to a quarry once before it happened to be decommissioned, and am always in search of new places and potentially new people to explore and sink with for safety sake!

mudxdresser

Postby mudxdresser » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:43 pm

There used to be a mudpit associated with the quarry in Berkley Springs, West Virginia just west over the mountain and it still looks to have mud on Google satellite view. Access is from to the north along the B&O railroad tracks by the river, you have to find the trail leading south...

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:45 pm

None that I'm willing to give up, sorry. 8-)
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

williams64901qs

Postby williams64901qs » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:42 pm

enerj29 wrote:I'm in PA too and it's not the best place for sinking. I've found a few creeks and lakes that have been good now and then, and went to a quarry once before it happened to be decommissioned, and am always in search of new places and potentially new people to explore and sink with for safety sake!

Yeah, being along the creeks and lakes was about the best I could find as well but like you said it can be good every now and then. I just gotta keep searching and eventually I'll find something decent. 8-)

~williams64901

williams64901qs

Postby williams64901qs » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:46 pm

mudxdresser wrote:There used to be a mudpit associated with the quarry in Berkley Springs, West Virginia just west over the mountain and it still looks to have mud on Google satellite view. Access is from to the north along the B&O railroad tracks by the river, you have to find the trail leading south...

That's not a hateful drive for me as I'm roughly 2 1/2 away from Berkley Springs. I'll have to check it out once the weather gets better. 8-)

~williams64901qs

Return to “General Discussion”