TGS MUD Poll

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions

Does a TGS MUD sound interesting to you?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:18 pm

Yes, I will spend every minute I can spare there
23%
Yes, but I am mostly just going to chat with others
No votes
Yes, it is all about role-playing for me
15%
I'll have a look when it's done
19%
Only if it has everything Sinking Island used to have
2%
Maybe
17%
No, please don't waste time on a project like this
4%
I still have no idea what you are talking about
21%

Total votes: 48

Aiko

TGS MUD Poll

Postby Aiko » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:18 pm

I have been tossing around this idea for a type of MUD/MUSH (multi-user dungeon) akin to Sinking Island (those of you who have been around since deepsinking.org should remember). But of course, in this case the environment would be based on The Great Swamp instead. Those who have no idea what I am talking about, think online chat-rooms with role-playing-features including some quicksand mechanics.

Now I am not actively working on such a project and maybe I never will. It really depends on your feedback and how interested people would still be in this sort of purely text-based online environment. After all, even if such a MUD might be intersting to explore solo, it's really first and foremost meant for multiplayer use and thus lives from community participation.

So please let me know what you think!
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

Aiko

Re: TGS MUD Poll

Postby Aiko » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:18 pm

To those who do not know what a MUD is, here is an article that explains it better than I could:
https://medium.com/@williamson.f93/mult ... 3ec0f29f4a

Quite a few votes, but no comments so far. I will keep working on other projects for now, but this MUD idea keeps popping up. So maybe someday.

Anyway, here are some of the things I have been considering to implement if this MUD ever comes into existence:
- Player level and stat system (would keep it simple, just 3 or 4 attributes to determine chances of stumbling into/struggling/successfully rescuing...)
- Useful items (eg. rope)
- TGS camp rooms (similar to the current tour)
- Vast number of TGS outdoor "rooms" for explorers (many of them would feature similar descriptions, but they would have different types of quicksand and chances of stumbling into a pit)
- Secrets to be found in the swamp
- Timer-based sinking interaction (unlike Sinking Island where you could spam "struggle; struggle; struggle; ..." dozens of times in an instant, you will only be able to issue commands at a certain rate)
- confused sense of direction in some areas (eg. "North" may not actually be North in the Central peat bogs or the Mangrove Swamp)
- Some rooms completely covered in shallow mud (eg. in the Central Peat bog you may be knee-deep while on solid ground. will start sinking from that depth when entering quicksand.)
- Risk of falling into quicksand while attempting to rescue someone else
- NPC encounters (may find people in need of rescue)

Just leaving these here, in case anyone wants to comment on them. ;)
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

BlueChris

Postby BlueChris » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:53 pm

Aiko wrote:To those who do not know what a MUD is, here is an article that explains it better than I could:
https://medium.com/@williamson.f93/mult ... 3ec0f29f4a

Quite a few votes, but no comments so far. I will keep working on other projects for now, but this MUD idea keeps popping up. So maybe someday.

Anyway, here are some of the things I have been considering to implement if this MUD ever comes into existence:
- Player level and stat system (would keep it simple, just 3 or 4 attributes to determine chances of stumbling into/struggling/successfully rescuing...)
- Useful items (eg. rope)
- TGS camp rooms (similar to the current tour)
- Vast number of TGS outdoor "rooms" for explorers (many of them would feature similar descriptions, but they would have different types of quicksand and chances of stumbling into a pit)
- Secrets to be found in the swamp
- Timer-based sinking interaction (unlike Sinking Island where you could spam "struggle; struggle; struggle; ..." dozens of times in an instant, you will only be able to issue commands at a certain rate)
- confused sense of direction in some areas (eg. "North" may not actually be North in the Central peat bogs or the Mangrove Swamp)
- Some rooms completely covered in shallow mud (eg. in the Central Peat bog you may be knee-deep while on solid ground. will start sinking from that depth when entering quicksand.)
- Risk of falling into quicksand while attempting to rescue someone else
- NPC encounters (may find people in need of rescue)

Just leaving these here, in case anyone wants to comment on them. ;)

This all sounds very good. I would be happy to see the project take off.

SunbeamZero

Postby SunbeamZero » Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:39 am

I favor this, I love the choice-making path selected kind of game. Especially with quicksand involved. :mrgreen:

Return to “General Discussion”