Most ridiculous stuck situation?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
MudMate

Most ridiculous stuck situation?

Postby MudMate » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:03 pm

Hello friends, I haven't posted in this group in years.

I was wondering have any fellow sinkers found themselves getting stuck in Rather awkward situations?

A few years ago, I was in my mud pit messing about, kneeling in the mud up to my waist. I somehow lost my balance and fell forward in the mud, my arms trying to catch my fall and ending up going straight down and out in the mud.

It was a very awkward position, because of the way my legs and arms were positioned, I could move neither. I tried to unfold my legs and managed to push them straight out which actually made it worse lol. It was such weird mud, I could move/pump my legs but not get anywhere. For about 45 minutes I was like "Welp now you've done it"

So I was stuck on all fours. My voice activated go pro only filmed for 12 minutes before overheating and turning off.

I managed to get my arms free after about 2 hours, after forcing my body weight to the side where my arm muscles could bend.

Has anyone experienced something dumb like this? What would you do in a situation like this?

I've been shy to even bring this up because it was so ridiculous.

https://youtu.be/E9HJrUeYLKw?si=bi63jj9lyjuNOgi_

-MudMate
Last edited by MudMate on Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zxy070401

Re: Most ridiculous stuck situation?

Postby zxy070401 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:35 am

MudMate wrote:Hello friends, I haven't posted in this group in years.

I was wondering have any fellow sinkers found themselves getting stuck in Rather awkward situations?

A few years ago, I was in my mud pit messing about, kneeling in the mud up to my waist. I somehow lost my balance and fell forward in the mud, my arms trying to catch my fall and ending up going straight down and out in the mud.

It was a very awkward position, because of the way my legs and arms were positioned, I could move neither. I tried to unfold my legs and managed to push them straight out which actually made it worse lol. It was such weird mud, I could move/pump my legs but not get anywhere. For about 45 minutes I was like "Welp now you've done it"

So I was stuck on all fours. My voice activated go pro only filmed for 12 minutes before overheating and turning off.

I managed to get my arms free after about 2 hours, after forcing my body weight to the side where my arm muscles could bend.

Has anyone experienced something dumb like this? What would you do in a situation like this?

-MudMate

If you get down and roll on the ground, it will only take you 5 minutes to get out. You haven't just tried to "stand up",have you? That sounds very rediculous. :lol:

MudMate

Postby MudMate » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:58 pm

zxy070401 wrote:

-MudMate

If you get down and roll on the ground, it will only take you 5 minutes to get out. You haven't just tried to "stand up",have you? That sounds very rediculous. :lol:

It was not as simple as it would appear. The mud was thick clay below the surface.

zxy070401

Postby zxy070401 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:21 pm

MudMate wrote:
zxy070401 wrote:

-MudMate

It was not as simple as it would appear. The mud was thick clay below the surface.

All in all, you only need to learn three skills to escape.Get down, extend your legs backwards, and rolling on the ground. This may need a few practices, then you can get out easily.

Boggyhoo

Postby Boggyhoo » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:03 pm

zxy070401 wrote:
MudMate wrote:
zxy070401 wrote:

snip
-MudMate

All in all, you only need to learn three skills to escape.Get down, extend your legs backwards, and rolling on the ground. This may need a few practices, then you can get out easily.

Yes. This is a good technique for the mud under the bridges.

BH

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:35 am

That looks like some very nice, thick mud, which looks like the stuff that can be loose with slight motions, but then locks up if you try to move too hard! I think that you might have been able to get out much sooner by making small motions at a time, using the feel of the mud as your guide. If you try and move a body part just a little until the mud tightens its muscular grip and locks up, then back off just enough for it to loosen up again, and then try and move the part again, you may find that part will move a little bit further than before, before the mud locks up again. Backing off again until it loosens and then moving again, and you may make even more progress before it locks up again.

In terms of awkward positions, a number of years back, I used to frequent a slide area along Harris Creek, which contained mud that ranged from clay to silt to sand, or a combination, where the sand settled quickly, but the clay/silt didn't. One day I sunk into a spot that was soft silt, and after lingering past waist deep, I tried to get out, only to find that I couldn't move my legs/feet! :shock: They were locked in solid! :shock: Digging away the silt revealed that my legs were embedded in solid sand, meaning there was quicksand underneath the quicksilt, which then settled into solid sand! So, it took me a long time to dig myself out of it. Later on, on a different outing, I returned to that same area and chose to sink, knees first, into the silt, perhaps 6 to 10 feet away from where I had gotten stuck previously. The silt was thick, and I sunk down, knees first, to my crotch, such that I was leaning forward crotch deep, legs buried in a "V" shape, with my feet sticking out behind me. When I was ready to exit, once again, I found that it had locked solid, and I couldn't work myself out, this time in the awkward, crotch-deep "V" position! :shock: But, I managed to dig it away and extract myself, taking less time than it took last time, since I wasn't sunk in so deep. This time, it wasn't pure sand, but the silt there seemed to really solidify! :shock:

A while back, I posted a video of me playing a man out for a swim, who stumbles into a bog in a position similar, but not exact, to your stuck position (my feet were sticking up, while your legs were submerged and straight). This bog was also softer organic stuff than the thicker clay in your video. Here it is:

https://www.quicksandfans.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2588&start=178
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

MudMate

Postby MudMate » Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:39 pm

Yes!

When I became deep in the mud, it began to lock which was a bit unexpected. I was used to mud just being a viscous slop, but this was more like a Quickclay underneath. I would have had to pull up millimeters at a time which was difficult to do with burning muscles.

Only reason it took me hours to free myself, was because I just had to rest my muscles so I didn't tear anything. Resting caused the mud to settle around my body which made it even more difficult to get unstuck.

I appreciate your insights!

-MudMate

Boggy Man wrote:That looks like some very nice, thick mud, which looks like the stuff that can be loose with slight motions, but then locks up if you try to move too hard! I think that you might have been able to get out much sooner by making small motions at a time, using the feel of the mud as your guide. If you try and move a body part just a little until the mud tightens its muscular grip and locks up, then back off just enough for it to loosen up again, and then try and move the part again, you may find that part will move a little bit further than before, before the mud locks up again. Backing off again until it loosens and then moving again, and you may make even more progress before it locks up again.

In terms of awkward positions, a number of years back, I used to frequent a slide area along Harris Creek, which contained mud that ranged from clay to silt to sand, or a combination, where the sand settled quickly, but the clay/silt didn't. One day I sunk into a spot that was soft silt, and after lingering past waist deep, I tried to get out, only to find that I couldn't move my legs/feet! :shock: They were locked in solid! :shock: Digging away the silt revealed that my legs were embedded in solid sand, meaning there was quicksand underneath the quicksilt, which then settled into solid sand! So, it took me a long time to dig myself out of it. Later on, on a different outing, I returned to that same area and chose to sink, knees first, into the silt, perhaps 6 to 10 feet away from where I had gotten stuck previously. The silt was thick, and I sunk down, knees first, to my crotch, such that I was leaning forward crotch deep, legs buried in a "V" shape, with my feet sticking out behind me. When I was ready to exit, once again, I found that it had locked solid, and I couldn't work myself out, this time in the awkward, crotch-deep "V" position! :shock: But, I managed to dig it away and extract myself, taking less time than it took last time, since I wasn't sunk in so deep. This time, it wasn't pure sand, but the silt there seemed to really solidify! :shock:

A while back, I posted a video of me playing a man out for a swim, who stumbles into a bog in a position similar, but not exact, to your stuck position (my feet were sticking up, while your legs were submerged and straight). This bog was also softer organic stuff than the thicker clay in your video. Here it is:

https://www.quicksandfans.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2588&start=178
If You Aren't Stuck, You Aren't going deep enough! :-)

Return to “General Discussion”