Good spot or nah

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Muyro

Good spot or nah

Postby Muyro » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:10 pm

Did some glancing around my town on Google Maps and I found this quarry. Does this look promising to you all? If so, how do you approach these kind of places without issues lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Re: Good spot or nah

Postby dlodoski » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:49 am

Man, that entrance pic invokes some mild PTSD. :lol:

If it were me, I'd brush up on drone flying (I have only flown mine a few times - have yet to get comfortable with it) and take it over there on a Sunday. It seems reasonable that keeping it pretty high up on a slightly breezy day would keep it from being heard.

Look for promising areas - and for personal vehicles. But this is just me thinking.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:36 am

dlodoski wrote:Man, that entrance pic invokes some mild PTSD. :lol:

Wow, you said it. On the surface of it that looks very interesting. Drones are a great idea but failing that I'd just hop over that low gate and wander around in there on a Sunday afternoon. Do your recon first. That road that runs alongside at far right might be worth driving down if you can get in there. At very least it's an escape route. Great potential at first view.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Muyro

Postby Muyro » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:01 am

Yea, I don't know where I'd approach at a place like this. I prefer hiking trail offshoots so this is out of my ballpark, and the 'armory' is concerning. Parking around there at night may get unwanted attention with the facility so close. Either way, I'll definitely drive by it in the summer sometime and see if it looks active. I'll attach a screenshot of the whole location so you can see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:43 pm

An armory, a weed dispensary, and a sinking spot. Talk about one stop shopping. :D

It looks old and overgrown, no visible evidence of recent activity (bulldozer tracks, etc).

Be easy to throw a bicycle over that gate, take a little ride in and play the part of a lost sightseer if encountered. Go on a Sunday morning. I've never seen a quarry that was open on Sundays.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Muyro

Postby Muyro » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:05 am

Thanks for the feedback, I’ll definitely investigate in the summer. Maybe my first quarry will be a jackpot lol

Mworm650

Postby Mworm650 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:05 am

The quarry is not open on Sundays if it's in Michigan and i know it is. I checked on Google maps and easy to get information. Be safe and have fun too

Muyro

Postby Muyro » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:56 am

Mworm650 wrote:The quarry is not open on Sundays if it's in Michigan and i know it is. I checked on Google maps and easy to get information. Be safe and have fun too

Yea, I doubt it’s abandoned due to it having a seemingly active Google pin. I guess I’ll just drive up on a Sunday, only way to really find out

mudxdresser

Postby mudxdresser » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:05 pm

Judging from the vehicles, this is a small active quarry. Park somewhere and just walk. Forget the front gate, it looks like it will eventually place you in view of what might be a dwelling to the west just up the entrance road. Approach from the road to the east but only go far enough to be out of view of the main road and then hop the fence as their appears to be another dwelling further north along the road. It is then a short walk cross country to the back end of the quarry.

Access looks easy enough but to me it look like the probability of any deep mud is very low. Good hunting!

Return to “General Discussion”