Victoria Holt's The Shivering Sands

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
PM2K
Always Remembered

Victoria Holt's The Shivering Sands

Postby PM2K » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:50 pm

One of those romantic mystery novels... in the description, it mentions the estate where the heroine wanders overlooks infamous "quicksands".... just wondering if anyone knows if it has any qs scenes in it...

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Re: Victoria Holt's The Shivering Sands

Postby dlodoski » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:55 pm

PM2K wrote:One of those romantic mystery novels... in the description, it mentions the estate where the heroine wanders overlooks infamous "quicksands".... just wondering if anyone knows if it has any qs scenes in it...

Yea, there's a pretty worthwhile (female) scene at the climax of the story, plus some extensive references earlier in the book.

There's another novel in a similar vein called The Waiting Sands by Susan Howatch.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:56 pm

Cool! :D Thanks, Dave.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:09 am

I can't find my copy of that right now (it was pretty old and dog-eared and may have bitten the dust) but can confirm that there was a quicksand scene at the end. It is not as detailed as what we would write for ourselves. But without a doubt, it's quicksand!

I also recall a description of a mosaic depicting a man going down in the same quicksand (foreshadowing the climax of the novel, which features the heroine in the quicksand) and yes, a few references to the quicksand throughout the book.

Victoria Holt was great at the creepy mystery-filled romance thing. I read several of her novels when I was a teenager and while this one is the only one in which I found a quicksand scene, she never disappointed me with the twists and turns of her plots.

I'll never forget Alice at the climax of the story...telling Caroline (who was sinking)...that...

These were SLOW quicksands.

Nessie

James diGriz

Postby James diGriz » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:29 pm

I have a couple dozen books with quicksand scenes in them. Everything from "Swamp Witch" from a teen "Dark Forces" series, to many romance novels. Author Carol Finch wrote 2 scenes in different books. "Captive Bride" and "Wildfire". The only one I knew of that I didn't have was published in 92, it was "set in the deadly swamps of the carolinas" yet cannot remember the title or author.(the ONE thing I forget and that is it.) Should I ever get a new scanner, I will get them scanned down and put up here.

MjM
How unfortunate you didn't have a proper guide to navigate these swamps.

Return to “General Discussion”