Gray Quarry Mud.. Is it it safe?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
quickchi21

Gray Quarry Mud.. Is it it safe?

Postby quickchi21 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:56 am

I’m still relatively new to sinking and read about how amazing quarries are so I knew I had to check one out. Well, I recently struck gold and found a relatively safe and lowkey quarry with an amazing and deep settling pond of thick, dense, and creamy clay. This clay is seriously so thick and heavy. I only sank to about the middle of my thighs and stayed close to the edge though since I was kinda worried. Which is honestly a really good decision because getting out was a serious ordeal. I leaned back to try and float my legs up and they would not move up, like at all. I had to literally dig my legs out. I’m definitely planning on going back this time with a rope/stick and I’m going to plan on venturing out further into the middle and letting myself sink even deeper. Only thing that I’m worried about though is if the contents of the mud are even safe for me to be sinking in? This quarry is a concrete quarry and features I’m pretty sure (I could be wrong) limestone rock that is processed into a creamy clay. The color is a really light gray and I’ve read on here to avoid gray quarry mud and only stick to brown mud. However the area I live in every single quarry has the gray mud and there really is no brown quarry mud around me. (Northern Illinois) Would sinking in this mud really be that bad? I wear thick clothes/shoes and gloves so Im not really worried about getting injured from sharp rock however I am worried about breathing in silica dust or other harmful substances. Am I just over reacting lol? I also am thinking about just wearing a mask to calm my anxieties lmao. What do you guys think? I added some screenshots from a video I took and from a google maps satellite view. Am I overreacting or would it be wise to just stay away from the gray mud quarries and wait till the rivers dry up from all this annoying spring rain - _ -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Duncan Edwards

Re: Gray Quarry Mud.. Is it it safe?

Postby Duncan Edwards » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:09 pm

I'd stay away from it if I was you just because you sound too nervous to me. If it concerns you that much you aren't going to have fun. There is a better reason though. You mentioned it might be a "concrete quarry" of which there is no such thing but you might mean it's a tailings pond from some sort of concrete manufacturing place. That would certainly explain the color and it could be full of gypsum, ammonia, etc. Not something you want to be involved with. What's the sign on the gate say? That should be the first thing you check out.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

quickchi21

Postby quickchi21 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:36 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:I'd stay away from it if I was you just because you sound too nervous to me. If it concerns you that much you aren't going to have fun. There is a better reason though. You mentioned it might be a "concrete quarry" of which there is no such thing but you might mean it's a tailings pond from some sort of concrete manufacturing place. That would certainly explain the color and it could be full of gypsum, ammonia, etc. Not something you want to be involved with. What's the sign on the gate say? That should be the first thing you check out.

So I go around the back and not through the front gate and the only warning sign that I’ve ever encountered was that blasting occurs beyond that point. Checking on google street view there are some signs however they’re kinda too blurry to read and seem to only be mentioning the blast zone. Also looking at the website they call themselves a readily mix supplier of construction aggregates. (sand, gravel, rock) so not exactly a concrete manufacturing plant. I can for sure check it out again before heading back out there but yeah honestly I’m just going to stay away from it from now on. The fact I’m trespassing is already giving me anxiety lmao. Don’t want to accidentally kill myself too from ingesting something that would be totally avoidable. There are some really promising looking natural locations in central Illinois though (Emiquon National Preserve) and just really any state park/nature preserve along the Illinois River Just sucks cause we’ve had so much rain so I know all the places are just going to be completely flooded. Very excited to make the trip out there once the summer heat and likely drought kicks in haha. There are some local river areas too that look great for sinking once the water level goes down. But unfortunately probably won’t do that much looking into them since they’re not obscured or private at all. Doesn’t help that the chicagoland metro area has hikers joggers and bikers everywhere lmao.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:22 pm

That stuff looks like the one Archenemies / Carrie LaChance did use in their videos.

I would likely give it a try if it is secluded enough and no chance of detection. But only when wearing appropiate waterproof gear.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:35 pm

quickchi21 wrote:... readily mix supplier of construction aggregates. (sand, gravel, rock)...

It's probably fine.

quickchi21 wrote: There are some really promising looking natural locations in central Illinois though (Emiquon National Preserve) and just really any state park/nature preserve along the Illinois River...

If you're anywhere near central or southern Illinois then you don't need to waste time with a quarry. The mighty muddy Mississippi and Illinois rivers are right there waiting for you. Flat silty land and lots of flowing water. Look around. ;)

jdw01424.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

quickchi21

Postby quickchi21 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:47 am

bogbud wrote:That stuff looks like the one Archenemies / Carrie LaChance did use in their videos.

I would likely give it a try if it is secluded enough and no chance of detection. But only when wearing appropiate waterproof gear.

Okay yeah, I invested in a good pair of chest waders, waterproof gloves, and a wetsuit for that reason. I know the waders and everything are going to make getting out so much harder but I’m not too worried. I wore an old battered pair of sneakers and sweatpants last time and it was difficult but I still managed. For sure going to bring a stick and some rope just in case though, I’m not that reckless lmao.

I’m planning on heading back out there sometime maybe this or next weekend when it’s closed. Going to wear a mask of some sort too, probably overkill but I’m going to record my session and would prefer to have my face covered anyways.

quickchi21

Postby quickchi21 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:50 am

quickchi21 wrote: There are some really promising looking natural locations in central Illinois though (Emiquon National Preserve) and just really any state park/nature preserve along the Illinois River...

Duncan Edwards wrote:If you're anywhere near central or southern Illinois then you don't need to waste time with a quarry. The mighty muddy Mississippi and Illinois rivers are right there waiting for you. Flat silty land and lots of flowing water. Look around. ;)

God that picture is so hot :roll: Once it’s been dry for a little while I’m going to head out to the rivers/wetlands and I’ll report back of what I find hehe

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:33 pm

quickchi21 wrote:

Duncan Edwards wrote:If you're anywhere near central or southern Illinois then you don't need to waste time with a quarry. The mighty muddy Mississippi and Illinois rivers are right there waiting for you. Flat silty land and lots of flowing water. Look around. ;)

God that picture is so hot :roll: Once it’s been dry for a little while I’m going to head out to the rivers/wetlands and I’ll report back of what I find hehe

That is Illinois mud. Got that and a lot more. It's great stuff.

bogbud

Postby bogbud » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:55 pm

quickchi21 wrote:
Okay yeah, I invested in a good pair of chest waders, waterproof gloves, and a wetsuit for that reason. I know the waders and everything are going to make getting out so much harder but I’m not too worried. I wore an old battered pair of sneakers and sweatpants last time and it was difficult but I still managed. For sure going to bring a stick and some rope just in case though, I’m not that reckless lmao.

I’m planning on heading back out there sometime maybe this or next weekend when it’s closed. Going to wear a mask of some sort too, probably overkill but I’m going to record my session and would prefer to have my face covered anyways.

Now that's my kind of gear! (Minus the mask)
Honestly, I have never been in need of a rope. Where to attach it in a quarry btw...? I would suggest to bring some kind of board instead. This gives more leverage than a stick and you can also use it to navigate areas that are maybe too soft to walk/crawl across.
I'm already chindeep in this mudbog and every desperate attempt to move my stuck legs only drives me deeper in. The thick mud slowly swamps my waders and my arms have nothing to hold onto.
I'm feeling home.

cbqdbq

Postby cbqdbq » Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:27 am

quickchi21 wrote:
bogbud wrote:That stuff looks like the one Archenemies / Carrie LaChance did use in their videos.

I echo Bogbud. Use sometehing like a sheet of plastic to spread your weight out on. You can use it to get out to a deeper part, and by stepping backward off it, you can press down on it with your hands and arms while working your way out.
cbqdbq
compeled by qs, demies by qs

Return to “General Discussion”