Wetlands in Ukraine

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
Billie Bonce

Re: Wetlands in Ukraine

Postby Billie Bonce » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:56 pm

Boggy Man wrote:So, the bogs there are radioactive? :shock:

Some heavy radionuclides present there, but they were mostly washed off deep into ground many years ago. I'm pretty sure that walking, sinking, and even living for all life there, are safe in terms of radiation. Actually, since 1986 the radiation level in atmosphere doesn't exceed the normal level. But I'd recommend to check all berries and especially mushrooms picked there. Such check for radionuclides is a normal procedure in Ukraine for every kind of edible stuff that may come from potentially contaminated zone (the contamination varies greatly from point to point). If you want to sell those berries or mushrooms on market the check is mandatory (but, as everything in Ukraine, may be bypassed by paying certain amount of money to certain people). If you pick stuff for yourself it's upon your decision, to check it or not. Most people never check. Also many people buy stuff on unauthorized ("spontaneous") markets where you can be sure that nothing was ever checked.
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Nessie
Producer

Re: Wetlands in Ukraine

Postby Nessie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:21 am

Billie Bonce wrote:But one thing made me very sad. By mentioning the dumping of garbage you hit the most painful point.

I really hate seeing garbage at my sites. It makes me so mad at people.

At Poison Sumac Bog, I've found (last year) a beer can in a mudpit, and this year there was a Mountain Dew can in exactly the same place. I also see spent shells here and there, and in 2009, there was a broken folding chair near my mudpit. In the spring, there are often cigarette butts on the path.

There are never many people there over the summer but when deer hunting starts, it must be fairly well-populated. And they leave stuff in there.

All I can tell ya is...the recent pictures you've seen of me this year are taken...no kidding...right in the middle of last year's...

Path. And I mean the little tiny path that goes from the main trail to the lake.

There may be less garbage near the actual mud next year. 'Cause if I'm sinking in almost to my shoulders in the middle of that spot right now...

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Nessie

Return to “General Discussion”