CGI Quicksand: A Possibility?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
bangskull22

CGI Quicksand: A Possibility?

Postby bangskull22 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:13 am

It's no question that nowadays, quicksand in the media is pretty much scarce. And back when they did show it in movies and TV shows, most of the time it was just made out of a pool of water topped with sand and/or cork, which wouldn't be THAT bad if the actresses didn't plunge right in causing them to be up to their shoulders right from the start. And of course there are the trident true excuses for simply not doing it, whether they say it's too cliche, or that the actresses complained about getting dirty, or whatever. I know beggars can't be choosers but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

But what if you could make a quicksand scene for a movie... just by computer-generating it?

I'd say with the advances in technology today, and after seeing what's possible to recreate in movies such as Avatar and 2012, I'd say making quicksand on the computer should be easy for them. And it could solve a lot of problems like those stated above. They can make it look real, generate a nice and slow sink with plenty of struggle motion, and the actress wouldn't have to get dirty. And as far as the mud clinging to the body, well... the skin tight costume in the upcoming Green Lantern movie is supposedly all CGI as well so a mud coating shouldn't be a problem either. And for the issue with it being cliche, there's nothing stopping their technology from spicing things up a bit. They could add tentacles, or perhaps even LIVING quicksand. The skies the limit.

I know that this can never replace actual quicksand, but at least this way Hollywood can give us something. They have the technology and it's about time they used it. :D

schlamm

Postby schlamm » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:33 am

Last edited by schlamm on Sun May 12, 2013 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boggy Man

Re: CGI Quicksand: A Possibility?

Postby Boggy Man » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:42 am

CGI quicksand has been done. For example, the movie "Jumanji" had the wooden floor turn into quicksand: 8-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXAr12pRdio#t=1m0s
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Qsvgitguy
Always Remembered

Postby Qsvgitguy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi,

I've been doing CGI animations including Quicksand scenes for over 10 years now. Here is a collections of my QS movies.

QS Sunset
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WWHZFL1I

QS Collective: A collection of early stuff. Not very good.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OLGVCXE8

Nurse Krystal
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N93R63F8

Creeping Crud Blob vore or what I like to call Proactive QS!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TF8T8TM2

I'm also working on another movie that will combine QS and vore. It's in the early stages but I'll keep everybody posted.

A20

Postby A20 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:22 pm

Yeah, Jumanji had CGI quicksand and I think one Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode.
Image Fan of tight miniskirts and pantyhose in quicksand Image
A-020's deviantArt | A-020's Patreon | A-020's Gumroad | A-020's Twitter
| A-020's YouTube

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:13 pm

I doubt that it's going to happen anytime soon but I'm waiting for the day when CGI on a desktop pc is so good that we can fake both the bog and the actress so well that nobody will know unless we tell them its fake. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:I doubt that it's going to happen anytime soon but I'm waiting for the day when CGI on a desktop pc is so good that we can fake both the bog and the actress so well that nobody will know unless we tell them its fake. 8-)

You know.. in a way, I'll regret that day... To me, as wonderful as CGI can be, it isn't a substitute for reality. :D

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:42 am

PM2K wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:I doubt that it's going to happen anytime soon but I'm waiting for the day when CGI on a desktop pc is so good that we can fake both the bog and the actress so well that nobody will know unless we tell them its fake. 8-)

You know.. in a way, I'll regret that day... To me, as wonderful as CGI can be, it isn't a substitute for reality. :D

I feel much the same way but I'm hoping even I won't know the difference. Is a fake reality at 100% fidelity still fake when you aren't part of it anyway? I mean, we've come close once or twice but we've never actually drowned a girl in quicksand. 8-)

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:52 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:
PM2K wrote:

I feel much the same way but I'm hoping even I won't know the difference. Is a fake reality at 100% fidelity still fake when you are part of it anyway? I mean, we've come close once or twice but we've never actually drowned a girl in quicksand. 8-)

I concur with PM2K... 1) It isn't a substitute for reality, 2) it's going to be a sad day when we accept something fake in lieu of the real deal, and 3) rather scary when you consider if such technology were taken beyond movies and animation... it would suck big time if the gal you were going out with and eventually married turned out to be a CGI fake. That's the stuff science fiction is made of, and what was science fiction yesterday exists as reality today.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:06 am

Hadn't really thought about this much before now.

I guess the kicker to our "reality" is that there is at least some danger of some kind out there when it's "real". There's been at least half-dozen times when our "reality" was real enough to cause some alarm or actual trouble while creating it. That will never be there with CGI.

But again, for the viewers anyway, if the producers don't tell you then how will you know? What difference would that version of
"reality" make? Would you want the creators to tell you it wasn't "real" fake or would you want to know it was CGI fake? 8-)

Return to “General Discussion”