NCIS Los Angeles quicksand reference...

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
jagfiles

NCIS Los Angeles quicksand reference...

Postby jagfiles » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:42 am

I happen to be watching NCIS Los Angeles tonight. In one scene LL Cool J and Chris O'Donnel were at the La Brea Tar Pit when O'Donnel's character asked "What's the differnce between tar and quicksand?"
They kicked that back and forth a bit when O'Donnel mentioned that "don't see quicksand on TV as much as we use to. Like in Gilligan's Island, $6 Million Dollar Man."
LL Cool J then asked "Is that all you ever do is stay up nights thinking about quicksand?"

quagmire_uk

Re: NCIS Los Angeles quicksand reference...

Postby quagmire_uk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 am

Heh. Either someone that writes the show is "one of us", or they accidentally stumbled across the fact that there are people that think a bit too much about quicksand.

Did the tar pits actually feature in the plot of the episode at all?

If not, seems an awful waste, having the characters just chatting about sinking scenes in TV and not showing any.

jagfiles

Postby jagfiles » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:20 pm

Yes there was brief shot of the tar pit. In fact there's a set up there was several mastadons at one of the pits with a mastadon actually in the tar. You could see the mastadon in the pit for a bit.
By the way one thing I forgot to mention. LL Cool J and Chris O'Connel's characters were looking for an informant and they found who they were looking for. (he was one of these local guys that was noted for petty stuff but knew information that NCIS could use)
ANyways when NCIS confronted him he obviously ran. When they caught him he was being uncorporative and he said to O'Donnel "You wouldn't throw me in the tar would you?" O'Donnel said "I wouldn't but he would" referring to LL Cool J. That's when he corporated.

Jaguar Paw

Postby Jaguar Paw » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:31 am

"Corporated"? Wow, you mean he issued shares in himself and got a quote from NASDAQ? or do you mean he "co-operated"?
Uggggghhhhh! Yukkkkkkh! Ptui! Why didn't he tell me that quicksand was there? Cinematic versimilitude my ass! I'll kill Mel Bloody Gibson!

jagfiles

Postby jagfiles » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:45 am

I meant co-operated. Sorry about that.

Jaguar Paw

Postby Jaguar Paw » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:51 pm

I never did work out why the NCIS spends most of its time chasing terrorists; in reality the real NCIS is the plainclothes section of the Navy's Shore Patrol, the US equivalent of the Royal Navy's SIB; their remit is investigating incidents where some bluejacket has got drunk and smashed a bar up; the body responsible for the stuff that the fictitious TV equivalent does is the Office Of Naval Intelligence (ONI) surely?
Uggggghhhhh! Yukkkkkkh! Ptui! Why didn't he tell me that quicksand was there? Cinematic versimilitude my ass! I'll kill Mel Bloody Gibson!

Viridian

Postby Viridian » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:15 am

NCIS was invoked as a tie-in to its forerunner, JAG. It does exercise a lot of creative license to keep the show from being too limited in scope, as JAG often was.
Viridian @ deviantART: http://viridianqs.deviantart.com/

Beast260

Postby Beast260 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:17 am

NCIS LA imo is rubbish. i love the original ncis with gibs and abby.... OOOHHH ABBY :roll: now she would be hot in quicksand :D

jagfiles

Postby jagfiles » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:24 am

I remember in a NCIS episode called Bloodbath someone was stalking Abby. The situation was getting serious but Abby wasn't taking it serious at first even when McGee was assigned to watch her. Abby was being playful about things and McGee, getting fustrated, told her "If you don't take this serious I WILL tie you up." Abby got this big grin on her face and told McGee "Oh really" as if she were hoping it would happen. So who knows if Abby were confronted was a quicksand situation.

Weapon X

Postby Weapon X » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:13 pm

Beast260 wrote:NCIS LA imo is rubbish. i love the original ncis with gibs and abby.... OOOHHH ABBY :roll: now she would be hot in quicksand :D

I would KILL to see Abby in quicksand!!! :D

Return to “General Discussion”