real life quickand encounter...

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
jagfiles

real life quickand encounter...

Postby jagfiles » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:57 am

Here's a interesting question for everyone. What has been the longest time you've heard of someone being in quicksand in reallife before being rescued?(set aside the quicksand videos)
For me I heard about a guy in Arkansas that was stuck in it for like 2-3 days before being rescued and he lived to tell about it. He was no more than like thigh deep if memory serves me correct.
Though in this case it sounds more like extremely thick mud but still quite a adventure nonetheless. Who's next?

YerK

Re: real life quickand encounter...

Postby YerK » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:10 pm

I wish you could tell me where that guy in AR was stuck! ;-)

Unfortunately, while I've read many a story about people getting stuck, I don't remember any for more than 24 hours. (and that was some guy up in the New England area that got stuck crossing a wetland just beyond yelling range from his own back yard, again stuck waist deep)

klaszlo

Postby klaszlo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Hello All:

Not sure if this is the exact case but......
The first link is to a newspaper account.........

http://bit.ly/dLbF5L

The second is to a first person account of
the same event, plus some details on Alaskan
mudflats. (You have to scroll down a bit)

http://bit.ly/hgQGED

A former hiking/mudding partner of mine
spent 24+ hrs. stuck once, but that is another
story.

Karl Laszlo

klaszlo

Postby klaszlo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Hello:

Gah !
Transposed the links !
Apologies !

KL

Billie Bonce

Postby Billie Bonce » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:08 am

As far as I remember one unfortunate jogger in Florida spent 4 days neck deep in the swamp before he was rescued.

From one of the papers linked above:
For hours, 14 men-including her husband-had desperately tried to free her from the silt’s cementlike grip as the tide rose.
another attempt to retell the story of Adeana Dickinson. As I remember from the Danger: Quicksand video, there was a man, the rescuer, who was on place, and from his words I understood that he arrived on place when Adeana was already neck-deep, and he had only about 5 minutes before she drowned. And there were only he and Adeana's husband there. And actually he tried to pull her leg out; no surprise that it didn't worked. There are so many legends around...
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

bart1997

Postby bart1997 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:50 am

Last edited by bart1997 on Sat May 09, 2015 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

schlamm

Postby schlamm » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:02 pm

Last edited by schlamm on Sun May 12, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jagfiles

Postby jagfiles » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:12 pm

I remember reading once about a teenager that went ATV riding with his stepdad. The stepdad got his ATV stuck in the mud and couldn't get it out. The stepdad rode the stepsons ATV out to get something to tow his out and him there. After a bit the teenager was walking around bored and wound up in the mud himself. He figured he could get out but couldn't. After a bit he realzied he was sinking in it. Turns out he was sinking for an hour before anyone found him (he was waistdeep by that time). Once more help came it still took 3 more hours to get him out by which time he was shoulderdeep.

YerK

Postby YerK » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:03 am

jagfiles wrote:I remember reading once about a teenager that went ATV riding with his stepdad. The stepdad got his ATV stuck in the mud and couldn't get it out. The stepdad rode the stepsons ATV out to get something to tow his out and him there. After a bit the teenager was walking around bored and wound up in the mud himself. He figured he could get out but couldn't. After a bit he realzied he was sinking in it. Turns out he was sinking for an hour before anyone found him (he was waistdeep by that time). Once more help came it still took 3 more hours to get him out by which time he was shoulderdeep.

Argh! These stories never tell me where to find that mud! ;-)

jagfiles

Postby jagfiles » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:32 am

Hi Yerk
I wish I could remember where it was off hand. It's been a while since I read that article.

Return to “General Discussion”