Holidaying to America, Where to Sink?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
ScruffPup

Holidaying to America, Where to Sink?

Postby ScruffPup » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:58 am

Hurro everyone,

My hubby and I are visiting America during the first half of August this year. We will be coming in at San Francisco for 3 nights, followed by Defcon at Las Vegas for 5 nights, then onto Yellowstone National Park for another 3 nights. After that we're not too sure where we're heading, perhaps Miami.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions to good sinking spots while we're over in America? Would anyone like to perhaps take us to the mud even? I've had a look at that google maps link with all the marked spots, but venturing into a quarry alone (especially this being my first visit to America)seems kinda dangerous and at high risk of getting caught. I've already got the Salton Sea mud pots in mind, as a possible place to sight see and take a dip at though.

I await your suggestions. :)

mudxdresser

Re: Holidaying to America, Where to Sink?

Postby mudxdresser » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:11 am

Given your circumstances, the best place to consider is Lake Mead in Nevada. However, you need to confirm that there is mud there as availability can vary.

So, tell us about your mudpits in Australia!...

YerK

Postby YerK » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:21 am

How will you be traveling between cities? If you're driving, that could help folks make suggestions on what mud might be there along the way. If you're flying, then the only places to play are at the destinations.

I don't know mud near SF.

I've heard there is some mud around Lake Mead (near LV, but not *right there*) I think you'll need to rent a boat to get to it, though.

I don't think there is fun mud @ yellowstone. There are mudpots there from the geothermal activity, but they are boiling hot.

I do not know the Miami area.

The one time I ventured into a quarry alone, I made the mistake of doing so during working hours, and wound up with 2 truckloads of guys showing up to "invite" me to leave very promptly. (and in hindsight, I was lucky not to get arrested for trespassing) Aren't you guys at least going as a pair?

ScruffPup

Postby ScruffPup » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:39 am

mudxdresser wrote:Given your circumstances, the best place to consider is Lake Mead in Nevada. However, you need to confirm that there is mud there as availability can vary.

So, tell us about your mudpits in Australia!...

Lake Mead looks like a beautiful place to sight see, even if the mud is unavailable.

I haven't actually found any mudpits in my region of Australia(I live in Victoria), but I do occasionally visit along a tidal river where the mud is about hip deep. Just got to play nice with the little crabs who inhabit the mudbanks too. :O

ScruffPup

Postby ScruffPup » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:46 am

YerK wrote:How will you be traveling between cities? If you're driving, that could help folks make suggestions on what mud might be there along the way. If you're flying, then the only places to play are at the destinations.

I don't know mud near SF.

I've heard there is some mud around Lake Mead (near LV, but not *right there*) I think you'll need to rent a boat to get to it, though.

I don't think there is fun mud @ yellowstone. There are mudpots there from the geothermal activity, but they are boiling hot.

I do not know the Miami area.

The one time I ventured into a quarry alone, I made the mistake of doing so during working hours, and wound up with 2 truckloads of guys showing up to "invite" me to leave very promptly. (and in hindsight, I was lucky not to get arrested for trespassing) Aren't you guys at least going as a pair?

We will be driving between cities as much as possible, unless there really isn't anything to see between destinations. Though we are thinking of taking a short flight over to Jacksonville, NC.

I'm sure there must be a few mudpots at Yellowstone that aren't boiling hot.....

We will be going as a pair, but I still don't want to attempt anything as risky as getting caught trespassing at a quarry. Not a great way to wind up a holiday tour!

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:24 am

ScruffPup wrote: Though we are thinking of taking a short flight over to Jacksonville, NC.

I'd stay away from freshwater completely if you visit South Florida. 'gators (crocs) seem to inhabit every pond south of Orlando. I can't direct you to any place specific but if you are in the Jacksonville area (friend in the Marines?) you will want to look around. I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something there around the bay and river. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

mudxdresser

Postby mudxdresser » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:23 pm

Yellowstone mudpots are illegal to mess with in any way, far more of a violation than visiting a quarry. And your assumption that there must be mud that is not too hot may be correct, however, it could take you weeks to locate that one little mudpot that requires hours of hiking in grizzly bear invested country to reach. I assure you, all the mudpots you will see near the road are boiling hot if they are of any size.

If you're after natural mudpots, you need to visit those near the Salton Sea area of California as they are neither hot nor cold.

Return to “General Discussion”