Anyone want to go sinking in Colorado?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
beachbum

Re: Anyone want to go sinking in Colorado?

Postby beachbum » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:39 pm

I live in a different part of the country in NJ. Too cold here now, but definitely some great quicksand spots by the bays.

mudxdresser

Postby mudxdresser » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:30 pm

I've been looking for good deep mud in Colorado for years but have not found it to date so perhaps a cautionary note is in order that while there is mud to be found just about anywhere, there is a great different in how each of us rate it as "good". My standards are rather high so just saying to keep your expectations down until you experience a given spot for yourself. There is suppose to be good mud near Florence in a quarry or some such but I've never found it. There is some quarry mud north of Denver but some of it is rather exposed to view.

The only place on the Colorado River I've ever found good mud by my standards is where the Colorado River comes into Lake Powell and into Lake Mead but note that timing is critical as the spring runoff raises the water level such as to cover the mudflats. Normally, it is best to wait until mid-July to give the water level plenty of time to go back down and expose the mudflats again. Note that it is now illegal to take a jetski about mile marker 108 on Lake Powell which leaves you about 40 miles short of the mud flats. The mudflats can sometimes be accessed on foot from Hite depending on just where they are that year but that access can be very difficult and dangerous.

There is mud on the Great Salt Lake shoreline, the best access is said to be out where the railway crosses the lake. I visit Utah every year, have never found much else in the way of mud there but am always open to being shown otherwise. Same with Colorado. Find good mud, I'll be there shortly thereafter if you're looking for company.

Diremire1234

Postby Diremire1234 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:09 pm

With regard to not being able to jet ski past mile marker ( 108? ) leaving 40 miles of inaccessibility, would that be due to low water levels? There is another marina not too far from Hite but on the other side of the river, so I'm thinking it's not a attributed to a lack of fuel access. I'd be curious about two things. The reason ( they closed it to jet-skis ) and how long it has been since you were there? You'll have to trust me on this, but my standards are exceedingly high as well and I know this entire area up the Dirty Devil from Hite, especially as you proceed ( shall we say the LONG way ) to Moab. I was just on Google Maps last night and I came within less than 1/2 miles of the new markers I put up knowing that they are only the very best...at least here in the lower 48. The trek was not that hard. I was constantly on the lookout for Rattlers and never, ever even saw one. The only danger I could see was footing on reason ably large rocks that upon closer inspection, were held in place by nature's own balancing act. Seemed to defy physics. Still, this is UTAH and I know that yes, Late July early August are the best times ( agreed ) as that was when I went 3 times since 2010-2014. I find that when I carry sufficient water, I can go for miles and miles and miles. I think perhaps the adrenalin keeps me going! ; ) No mere speculation. Explore the Colorado in and around rand Junction. I never aw anything while I was in Denver--4 times to date. Thanks and let' stay in touch.
From a strictly psychological perspective, is it not a return to the womb?

Diremire1234

Postby Diremire1234 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:16 pm

And it' all southern UTAH, The Great Salt Lake is kinda stinky at times donchathink? No appeal in the slightest. Leave the marina at Hite ( after you enjoy the hell out of yourself, of course ) and trek up the Dirty Devil. A you likely know, keep your eyes to the skies miles distant as flash floods can occur here with the Sun shining ever-so-brightly.
From a strictly psychological perspective, is it not a return to the womb?

mudxdresser

Postby mudxdresser » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:50 pm

I rent a pontoon boat on Lake Powell at least every other year. I was last there at the upper end of the lake in 2015, I'll be there again in 2017. Note that Hite Marina has been closed for nearly a decade due to low water levels. All the docking facilities were removed and the only gas available is up the hill at the convenience store that the park tries to keep open for Canyonlands jeepers like myself. Sometimes there are mud flats in walking distance of Hite, usually not. Sometimes you can walk west from where the rafters take out on the northern side to reach the mudflats, sometimes not. And, yes, the Dirty Devil River sometimes has useable mud that can be easily reached by parking in the camping area on the north side of the Colorado River and walking east.

The prohibition on jetski use past mile marker 108 has been in place for about a decade and arose as a compromise settling a lawsuit against the National Park Service in the '90's seeking to outlaw all jetski use on Lake Powell and Lake Mead. Go to the park website and you'll find the details. Note also that old two-cycle jetski's like the one I have are now totally illegal on Lake Powell and Lake Mead.

Yes, the Great Salt Lake stinks and any boat you put on it has to be immediately flushed with clean water due to the high salt content. However, I've spoken to several folks over the years who tell wonderful stories about how deep and creamy the mud is if you can endure the smell. And how private it is as because of that smell! There is said to be an art in selecting a day when the wind is blowing just right but I've no idea just what direction that is. I understand the real problem is that you have to live with the smell for a while, it don't wash off so good.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:34 am

mudxdresser wrote:I rent a pontoon boat on Lake Powell at least every other year. I was last there at the upper end of the lake in 2015, I'll be there again in 2017. Note that Hite Marina has been closed for nearly a decade due to low water levels. All the docking facilities were removed and the only gas available is up the hill at the convenience store that the park tries to keep open for Canyonlands jeepers like myself. Sometimes there are mud flats in walking distance of Hite, usually not. Sometimes you can walk west from where the rafters take out on the northern side to reach the mudflats, sometimes not. And, yes, the Dirty Devil River sometimes has useable mud that can be easily reached by parking in the camping area on the north side of the Colorado River and walking east.

The prohibition on jetski use past mile marker 108 has been in place for about a decade and arose as a compromise settling a lawsuit against the National Park Service in the '90's seeking to outlaw all jetski use on Lake Powell and Lake Mead. Go to the park website and you'll find the details. Note also that old two-cycle jetski's like the one I have are now totally illegal on Lake Powell and Lake Mead.

Yes, the Great Salt Lake stinks and any boat you put on it has to be immediately flushed with clean water due to the high salt content. However, I've spoken to several folks over the years who tell wonderful stories about how deep and creamy the mud is if you can endure the smell. And how private it is as because of that smell! There is said to be an art in selecting a day when the wind is blowing just right but I've no idea just what direction that is. I understand the real problem is that you have to live with the smell for a while, it don't wash off so good.

Very good information here mudxdresser. I'll shoot you a email soon.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

mudxdresser

Postby mudxdresser » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Note also that if you have a Jeep or similar, it is sometimes possible to put into Lake Powell just five miles below the mudflats at the Blue Notch canyon.

enerj29

Postby enerj29 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:52 pm

All sound like cool places. Sinking somewhere near or in PA would be ideal, but open to ideas. :)

mudxdresser

Postby mudxdresser » Wed May 03, 2017 8:05 pm

Let's move this thread back to the original topic of Colorado with the following info. After years of trying to find the long rumored Fountain, Colorado mudpit, what looks like a possible mudpit has finally shown up on Google satellite view. Two decades ago I spoke to someone who claimed to have been to a nice mudpit somewhere near Fountain but who was otherwise rather coy as to the exact location. I eventually concluded he was probably referring to Lake Callahan to the east of Fountain when it was low on water but since there are quarries in the area, I sometimes check to see if anything has become visible whenever Google updates their satellite photos.

I can now see what is definitely a settling pond connected with a quarry. Of course, that doesn't mean it is good mud, the only way to know is to visit. Access looks a little difficult. Any experienced quarrymen in Colorado wanna have a go at verifying it?

cygnus421

Postby cygnus421 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:28 pm

Im a trucker, so im all over the place. It sounds good in theory for a sinker, but I very rarely get extended breaks. I can take hometime anywhere in the country, but the problem there is I need a month's notice, and even then, i don't always get it.

I do deliver in Denver, though, so it's not out of the questions for me to take a little sinking pilgrimage there :)
With the heart and mind united

Return to “General Discussion”