First time hiking, and possibly first time sinking?

Sink Into On-Topic Discussions
mudguy

First time hiking, and possibly first time sinking?

Postby mudguy » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi all, I live in Southern Colorado and after very little convincing (we have talked about it off and on for the passed 6 years or so), my wife and I are going hiking to look for deep mud, in all honesty I have NO IDEA what I'm doing apart from reading how to escape and basic safety, I tried looking around yahoo answers for locations (yeah I know lol), but I guess here is the best place lol, I bought a recreations map of the state, there are a lot of rivers and creeks where we live but I have no real experience with hiking at all and she hates the outdoors (but is willing to make an exception for the whole deep mud thing lol and hiking to get there obviously.

The creek that I think sounds (idk any more than that) promising is La Garita creek? It has a natural wonder near it the map says, an eroded arch from volcanic activity or something lol, and if I may ask a question on finding mud, we need to follow the river, creek or stream down stream correct? Like I said I'm new to exploring lol any advice and hints would be helpful and greatly appreciated, thank you!

Duncan Edwards

Re: First time hiking, and possibly first time sinking?

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Follow the water, look for mud, take your shoes off (at least) and prepare for lots of searching and lots of disappointment. You'll figure it out. ;)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

newtothis2

Postby newtothis2 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:46 am

Mudguy, if you ever find yourself in the Denver area I know of several spots, (usually fairly well hidden) you and your wife may enjoy. Feel free to PM me and I'll spot out some locations for you.

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:35 am

Since your wife isn't that fond of the outdoors, perhaps you could try exploring without her so that when you do find good locations that are easy to access, you can then lead her directly to them.
I sink, therefore I WAM!!!!

(((ioi)))

-The Boggy Man

Return to “General Discussion”