Olivia Newton-John, Actress & Singer, Dies at 73

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
BogDog

Olivia Newton-John, Actress & Singer, Dies at 73

Postby BogDog » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:19 pm

This is getting to be a really bad trend. We just lost dear sweet Olivia Newton John. I actually cried. The world... MY world, just gets smaller and smaller. :(

Olivia Newton-John, beloved actress and singer best known for her role as Sandy Olsson in Grease and for hits such as 1981’s “Physical,” died on Monday (Aug. 8). She was 73 years old.

Her official Facebook page confirmed the news, writing in a statement, “Dame Olivia Newton-John (73) passed away peacefully at her Ranch in Southern California this morning, surrounded by family and friends. We ask that everyone please respect the family’s privacy during this very difficult time.”

“Olivia has been a symbol of triumphs and hope for over 30 years sharing her journey with breast cancer. Her healing inspiration and pioneering experience with plant medicine continues with the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund, dedicated to researching plant medicine and cancer. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that any donations be made in her memory to the Olivia Newton-John Foundation Fund (ONJFoundationFund.org).”

My older brother down in Santa Barbara almost met her when he was buying a used Chevy Blazer from her husband in the mid-1980s via newspaper classified ads. The address was this beautiful mansion-home on a huge property. My bro said "This is quite a place" and the guy replied "Yeah, well, my wife IS Olivia Newton-John,". But she was pregnant at the time and staying indoors out of public view, so brother didn't get the meet-up.

REST IN PEACE, my dear lady.

My favorite Olivia song is actually one of her first:

https://youtu.be/aJvwcpkBN3A
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

OBI-wan

Re: Olivia Newton-John, Actress & Singer, Dies at 73

Postby OBI-wan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:17 am

Heartbreaking.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:07 pm

You should have seen the local fuss when she first came to Nashville to record. I was eleven years old and still remember when she was talking to reporters and one asked if she was married. Her response was a perfectly timed "Is that a proposal?" I think most of Nashville laughed with her and I was in love. Grease didn't make her any easier for a love smitten 15 year old to ignore. My Sophomore year of high school I was part of an Olivia Newton John cover band that lasted all of two performances. I think I was one of the dozen or so people on earth who went to see Xanadu. Fortunately Gene Kelley was roller skating too. I was 18 and she was all wet and running down the beach on television in a moment I'll never forget. Every time I turned around between the age of 10 and 20 she was there. You just don't forget that stuff. Never will.

ONJ1.jpg

ONJ2.jpg

ONJ3.jpg

ONJ4.jpg

ONJ5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

quicksander_2000

Postby quicksander_2000 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:30 pm

I mean when she switches to THIS outfit at the end of Xanadu ... I was 10. A lasting impact ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Seeking to sink, seeking to survive, seeking mostly to sink

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:32 pm

quicksander_2000 wrote:I mean when she switches to THIS outfit at the end of Xanadu ... I was 10. A lasting impact ...

I hear you. I was 17 and it was the height of "Roller Disco". Time to expose another fascination of mine - Women on Roller Skates. I loathed disco but by God, I could skate, and that's where the girls were so that's where I was. When I saw this preview and Olivia was on skates I had to see this movie no matter how stupid it was. Well, it was pretty stupid but it didn't matter to me because Olivia Newton John was on wheels. Yeah.

Preview for Xanadu

EVysther

Postby EVysther » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:49 am

Nicely put, all....

Her popularity was at a huge point at the time of Xanadu, the song Magic was CONSTANTLY on the air that summer (1980)...my first true crush, I was thirteen at the time...

I actually bought the soundtrack to the movie...this was in my pre-AC/DC/Sabbath days :o ...flash forward to September of the next year, and Physical ....and, oh my... :shock:

I have a deep admiration for her bravery in her struggle against cancer. I've lost quite a few friends to it over the last few years, and it's never easy or dignified.

Rest easy, Dear Lady.

And, yes, we've lost some remarkable talents lately, haven't we? James Caan, David Warner, Nichelle Nichols, Bernard Cribbins...time waits for no one...
Eric Vysther

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery -
today is a gift...that's why it's called the present!
"

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:36 am

Sad news. Olivia Newton-John was definitely a favorite of mine. Loved listening to her songs and seeing her on TV... she had such a beautiful face, such a sweet voice, and such lovely legs. Loved her accent. I remember staying up on Friday nights and watching "Solid Gold" when she would host or perform on the show. She will be missed.

Rest in peace, dear lady.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:10 pm

water_bug_62208 wrote:... I remember staying up on Friday nights and watching "Solid Gold" when she would host or perform on the show.

You too? I used to make fun of my sisters for watching that stupid show. Naturally it was a great guilty pleasure when the right lady was on. :oops:

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:19 pm

I remember a long time ago she was on this tv show called the Rocky Awards. She was pulling a rickshaw in which Keith Moon was riding. She let go of it and Keith fell out of it. He then got on his knees and exclaimed “Sleep with me, Olivia, sleep with me!”.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:33 am

OBI-wan wrote:I remember a long time ago she was on this tv show called the Rocky Awards. She was pulling a rickshaw in which Keith Moon was riding. She let go of it and Keith fell out of it. He then got on his knees and exclaimed “Sleep with me, Olivia, sleep with me!”.

Interesting. Took me a while to find info. It was actually called "Rockie Awards". ;)
https://rockies.playbackonline.ca/About

Here is a treat for everyone. I can still remember when she had her own TV special in the mid-1970s. I did some searching and located it (YouTube can be awesome!). Enjoy!

Dammit! The first song got me crying again.
https://youtu.be/DVk9IITwBGk

(Some videotape dropouts after the first commercial break, but they go away quickly).
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Return to “Off Topic”