Nichelle Nichols

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
mudmaiden

Re: Nichelle Nichols

Postby mudmaiden » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:33 am

Nichelle, may you slip the surly bonds of earth to touch the face of God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slcUfme-JMg
Tarzan to Jill Hardy: Girl be still. Not sink!!"
From "Valley Of Mystery" : Don't struggle and do not thrash around; that just makes things worse!

Also: check me out at:
http://mudmaiden.deviantart.com/gallery/

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:15 am

OBI-wan wrote:“Second star to the right, and straight on til morning.”.

What I saw "Star Trek The Motion Picture" in the theater back in 1980 and it came to the end with Sulu asking "Which way sir?", I immediately thought of that line. I may have even spoke it out loud to myself. But instead Kirk/Shatner said "Out there. That-a-away." :?

Then years later they finally used it in the 6th ST movie. Took 'em long enough. :D
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:08 pm

Paramount+ will remember trailblazing Star Trek actor Nichelle Nichols during its Star Trek Day event next month.

The event will feature a “special video to honor the impact and influence” of Nichols, who portrayed translator communications officer Lt. Nyota Uhura on the original Star Trek series. Nichols, who died July 31 at 89, broke barriers with her portrayal of Uhura in the series and later in its film franchise.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

PA Jack

Postby PA Jack » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:15 am

I agree with everything said here - I had such an adolescent crush on Lt. Uhura when the show was originally on TV. Nichelle Nichols played the character with a dignified emotional humanity, which I always thought was a great counterpoint to Spock’s unemotional logic. The newer movies (with the prequel younger versions of the crew) even pair up Uhura and Spock in a relationship to emphasize this very difference, kind of a tribute to the way she introduced the part.

Another of what seems like many losses this year of movie/TV icons. So sad ...
Last edited by PA Jack on Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:50 pm

BogDog wrote:
OBI-wan wrote:“Second star to the right, and straight on til morning.”.

What I saw "Star Trek The Motion Picture" in the theater back in 1980 and it came to the end with Sulu asking "Which way sir?", I immediately thought of that line. I may have even spoke it out loud to myself. But instead Kirk/Shatner said "Out there. That-a-away." :?

Then years later they finally used it in the 6th ST movie. Took 'em long enough. :D

Well, I think it was more appropriate to use it in Star Trek 6 since they were getting on in years and this was their last cinematic mission.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Tim Kelly

Postby Tim Kelly » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:30 pm

Hailing frequencies...closed.
Uhura out.
"Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh! Quicksand! I'm sinking! I'll go straight to the bottom of.......GLURP!"
(a month later)
"Ugh! Yukkkh! Ptui! I'm out of it! I'm free! Not even quicksand can defeat the power of.....the Eye of Zoltec!"

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:55 pm

They're going to launch her ashes into space.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Return to “Off Topic”