Windows 10 migration notes

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
reisen55

Windows 10 migration notes

Postby reisen55 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:18 pm

Just completed setup of a new Win10 Dell 990 system. Walmart for $110 TRUE. I recommend Classic Shell to give you back the old Windows interface. It is a free utility and easy to find. Second, VDOS is an excellent DOS shell if you have any ancient programs you enjoy or cannot live without. DLNA network for video streaming still works through old Media Player. Yes, you can stream direct from system to flat screen TV. It took a few days to retire the old Win7 system as I walked around and thought through issues. The Win7 migration to 10 died a few times due to a drive map error I have yet to figure out, so it is a fallover backup sys now.

Mynock

Re: Windows 10 migration notes

Postby Mynock » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:45 am

Sounds like fun. My computer decided to upgrade itself to Windows 11 a while ago. Whatever Skynet. Feel free to take over the world, just make sure my games keep working. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

reisen55

Postby reisen55 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:21 pm

I have not touched the older Win7 system for weeks now. Just purchased a huge LG 70" smart TV for the living room and the thing is beautiful. Remote takes learning but it found, by itself, the Windows 10 system as a Media server with NO input on my part. Tech is great when it works. ( Our bedroom TV was hanging on HULU all of the time. So bought big TV, moved the smaller slightly living room TV to the bedroom where it works great. The bad bedroom TV went upstairs where it replaced an older stupid TV which is now in a guest bedroom. I am done with TVs now forever.)

TK421

Postby TK421 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:08 am

reisen55 wrote: I am done with TVs now forever.)

Yeah…careful. My last customer said something similar a couple of years ago before having me install this. :lol:

62C6B415-2347-44B1-B6C8-A396E59CE0E3.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“We have no food.
We have no jobs.
OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!”

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:03 pm

Don't just buy a big TV. Sound quality is just as important! Few years ago when upgrading to a bigger 4K TV I also picked up sound system that's around 800ish total watts (I think the company was called Onn).

Unit consists of a single centrally mounted sound bar and a sub woofer, does a pretty good job of simulating 5.1 surround sound without having to hook up 5 different speakers, but just the improved sound quality alone really makes a difference. It's like I went from just having a big TV to having my own movie theater!
--Sun Tzu

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:25 pm

Here, the problem is different. First, I am totally unwilling to pay the amount charged by Dish. I just do not need five different channels showing Leave it to Beaver. Cable is totally unavailable here at any price, and I would not pay what they want anyway. That leaves broadcast. Before the fire I had a nice TV. However, it could receive four different channels of PBS, and nothing else. A new TV is on my acquisition list, so I should have one by mid-spring, but except for PBS all it will be able to play will be what I can already play from DVD or hard drives on a 4k computer display.

For "those who want to know," the relevant acquisition list calls for a TV support table, a love seat, a coffee table, and then the TV. The table was scheduled for delivery yesterday but did not arrive because the road is still ice-covered. I made my own top for the coffee table, the legs for which were also scheduled for delivery yesterday. Next will be the love seat and then the TV.

I have not had a TV since moving back to the Studio in March of 2021, and I can't say I really miss it. I have a very nearly complete library of Dr. Who and that takes several months to cycle through.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:07 pm

I canceled my cable years ago and went to streaming services. Saves me tons of money and even better no commercials. When I watch cable programming now the amount of advertising you get shoved in your face just seems ridiculous.
--Sun Tzu

Fred588
Producer

Postby Fred588 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:00 pm

Mynock wrote:I canceled my cable years ago and went to streaming services. Saves me tons of money and even better no commercials. When I watch cable programming now the amount of advertising you get shoved in your face just seems ridiculous.

I should have mentioned that. Here i only internet service has such a severe data cap that streaming is not an option either. The power company is now installing fiber optic cable, they say to 100 percent of their electricity customers but it will be 2026, and I fear the end of 2026, before they have everyone.
Studio 588 currently offers more than 2200 different HD and QD quicksand videos and has supported production of well over 2400 video scenes and other projects by 13 different producers. Info may be found at:
http://studio588qs.com
http://quicksandland.com
http://psychicworldjungleland.com

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:20 pm

I can kind of relate. I didn't even have cable till I was in my teens because up till then there wasn't enough people in the area to make running it up the mountain profitable. That was before Al Gore invented the internet though so we weren't missing much. :D
--Sun Tzu

Return to “Off Topic”