To those no longer with us....

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
BogDog

Jimmy Buffett, ‘Margaritaville’ Singer, Dies at 76

Postby BogDog » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:01 am

Singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett, whose laid-back, good-humored, often tropically-themed brand of country-laced pop spawned a lucrative one-man business empire, died Friday. He was 76. A cause of death was not immediately released.

Buffett’s death was confirmed through a statement on his official website: “Jimmy passed away peacefully on the night of September 1st surrounded by his family, friends, music and dogs. He lived his life like a song till the very last breath and will be missed beyond measure by so many.”

Over the course of a 50-year professional career, Buffett collected just one top-10 pop hit: “Margaritaville,” a marimba-laced, tequila-soaked paean to kicking back on the beach in the aftermath of a breakup, which rose to No. 8 on the national charts.

But Buffett’s boozy, punny, often marijuana-scented variety of tropical good-time music struck an abiding chord with an army of enthusiastic fans, who dubbed themselves “parrotheads” in reference to the colorful avian headgear they sported at the musician’s sold-out concerts.

LIVE VIDEO: https://youtu.be/MZu37cst4vE
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

OBI-wan

Re: To those no longer with us....

Postby OBI-wan » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:24 pm

:(
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

PA Jack

Postby PA Jack » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:28 pm

If a musician had to have just one top hit, you couldn’t do much better than “Margaritaville.” People all over live in theme communities for Parrot Heads, RIP.
Formerly jack c, years ago.

EVysther

Postby EVysther » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:28 pm

I have friends who were WAY into that Buffet-Margaritaville-weekend kinda thing....his music was never my cup of tea, but I got a real kick out of going to one of those concert "events" - the outfits! :o :lol: - parrot heads indeed!

Reminded me a lot of what some of my Dead-head friends would go to...(yup, I saw GD before Mr. Garcia left us...again, not my groove, but it was an EXPERIENCE)...

Buffett was kinda like that...minus ten tons of hallucinogenic drugs, of course! :shock:
Eric Vysther

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery -
today is a gift...that's why it's called the present!
"

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:41 pm

Steve Harrell, lead singer of Smash Mouth, 56.

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:56 am

Gary Wright, the Dream Weaver, 80.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:05 pm

I saw Jimmy live several times and it was always a great party. He used to begin his tours at this big amphitheater in Nashville which was just perfect. You'd get just as many stories from the event as he would share on the stage. One that he related was a great piece of redneck lore by getting his drunken ass kicked by Buford Pusser. It seems the Walking Tall legend himself didn't react well to getting his Cadillac pissed on one night at a Tennessee Sheriff's Convention in Nashville. :mrgreen:

Jimmy Buffet was a musician, writer, story teller, pilot, sailor, and general man of the world. His sister said his last words were "Have fun" and I believe it. It could not have come from anyone with more experience.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:44 am

OBI-wan wrote:Gary Wright, the Dream Weaver, 80.

Wow! THAT was an unexpected slap in the face. I had no idea he was in his 30's when Dream Weaver came out. I was 15 or 16. RIP keyboard man.

Even though his DREAM WEAVER album was more popular, his THE LIGHT OF SMILES was far better in my opinion. Here's one of the songs from it that you probably never heard before in your life, and it's time you did. You will not regret. Appropriate title for the moment too.

"ARE YOU WEEPIN'"
https://youtu.be/AjPkNatjFh0
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

OBI-wan

Postby OBI-wan » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:19 am

David Mccallum, Man From Uncle and NCIS, 90.

PA Jack

Postby PA Jack » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:25 am

David McCallum - Ilya Kuryakin on Man From Uncle, a great show in its time; I watched it every week. He sure didn’t look in his late 80’s on NCIS, but he played Ducky very well throughout the series. Still going up until 90 is an achievement - will be missed. RIP, David.
Formerly jack c, years ago.

Return to “Off Topic”