Gamers Unite!

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
av77

Re: Gamers Unite!

Postby av77 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:34 am

That makes sence about the whole infection thing haha, i just didnt know the backstory to the second one yet so thanks uk.
I though borderlands was amazing but the only down side is that most of the guns in the game you see over and over just do diffrent damage, have diffrent accuracy and relode speeds to them :/

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:05 am

av77 wrote:That makes sence about the whole infection thing haha, i just didnt know the backstory to the second one yet so thanks uk.

Yea, don't worry. They're not really zombies, they just have rabies. :D
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

quagmire_uk

Postby quagmire_uk » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:32 pm

I just got borderlands on the PC, as did my friend, there was a one day steam sale where it was 2/3 the normal price.

Does seem entertaning so far.

To get the multiplayer working though you have to do port forwarding, I had to forward five ports. I'm not familiar with that sort of thing, took me over an hour to sort it all out. And my mate doesn't know his router password so it looks like I'll be hosting all the games. And port forwarding still isn't enough, after that you still have to use a bizarre workaround to actually be able to invite a friend to your game...

Start a public game from main menu
Invite your friend (he will be unable to join, it will time out)
Quit back to main menu
Load a game in singleplayer
Invite your friend (which turns it into a multiplayer game)

Hopefully they'll be releasing a patch that fixes this weirdness. Especially because the intention of this game is that you play it online with friends, it is considerably more fun. Playing it singleplayer is like doing a first-person-shooter version of a massively multiplayer online game (like world of warcraft etc), except on your own. You need to be in a team, tackling enemies together and helping each other out, that's what it is all about.

triclopse

Postby triclopse » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:25 pm

I'm hoping this is the right place for this, if not I apologise in advance, but I could use some advice from gamers less noobish than myself. I'm trying to play Bioshock and Portal, but it looks like my graphics card is nowhere near good enough, unfortunately GFX cards are the 1 component I never got the hang of so I'm not sure what to look for :? . I thought about the Inno3D 9400GT 1GB DDR2, would that do it? or would ddr3 be worth more than having 1gb onboard? any other recommendations? The comp has an E2180 2x2ghz cpu and 2gb ram. Anyway, thanks in advance.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:34 am

triclopse wrote:I'm hoping this is the right place for this, if not I apologise in advance, but I could use some advice from gamers less noobish than myself. I'm trying to play Bioshock and Portal, but it looks like my graphics card is nowhere near good enough, unfortunately GFX cards are the 1 component I never got the hang of so I'm not sure what to look for :? . I thought about the Inno3D 9400GT 1GB DDR2, would that do it? or would ddr3 be worth more than having 1gb onboard? any other recommendations? The comp has an E2180 2x2ghz cpu and 2gb ram. Anyway, thanks in advance.

What are your system specs and how much do you want to pay? A 9400 GT is pretty behind the times.
--Sun Tzu

AyaneMatrix

Postby AyaneMatrix » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:24 am

Mynock wrote:
triclopse wrote:I'm hoping this is the right place for this, if not I apologise in advance, but I could use some advice from gamers less noobish than myself. I'm trying to play Bioshock and Portal, but it looks like my graphics card is nowhere near good enough, unfortunately GFX cards are the 1 component I never got the hang of so I'm not sure what to look for :? . I thought about the Inno3D 9400GT 1GB DDR2, would that do it? or would ddr3 be worth more than having 1gb onboard? any other recommendations? The comp has an E2180 2x2ghz cpu and 2gb ram. Anyway, thanks in advance.

What are your system specs and how much do you want to pay? A 9400 GT is pretty behind the times.

For Portal, that graphics card should be more than enough if you already have it. What I'd suggest is a decent middleware ATI card in the 4600 range or even better (5000 range). Nvidia on the other hand, I'd suggest something around the 9800 range at the very least, or the recent 200 series as many of those are around the same price range. Sometimes you'll get lucky with the current sales for the holiday. Also, keep in mind that any recent card that you decide to go with is going to need extra power from your power supply and if it's wattage is low, you may need to upgrade that as well to accommodate a new graphics card. Also try to get one that supports the type of slot your motherboard uses for your current graphics card and your case's overall size -- full sized cards won't always fit in full or cramp cases. :geek:

Other than that, additional memory for your system will always add to overall performance; but, you will limited to 4 gigs total (system, graphics, and sound memory) in Windows XP/Vista/7 32-bit operating systems and as much as the OS will allow in 64-bit versions.

That's all I can think of without knowing your detailed setup, so if you want, you can always post an edited version of your DxDiag log file. Though, you may not need to. :lol:

Hope that helps!

triclopse

Postby triclopse » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:39 pm

thanks for the help, my system spec is: e2180 2ghz dual core cpu, 2gb ram, GA-945GCM m/board, winXP (the memory limit is why I only put 2gb ram in it), Nvidia 7300 SE / 7200 GS and a 350w PSU. If the 9400GT can do the job I'll probably just go for that since I'm not really looking to get any other games anytime soon.

AyaneMatrix

Postby AyaneMatrix » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:23 pm

triclopse wrote:thanks for the help, my system spec is: e2180 2ghz dual core cpu, 2gb ram, GA-945GCM m/board, winXP (the memory limit is why I only put 2gb ram in it), Nvidia 7300 SE / 7200 GS and a 350w PSU. If the 9400GT can do the job I'll probably just go for that since I'm not really looking to get any other games anytime soon.

Depending on how much you want to spend and if your system is a custom rig to begin with, you will definitely need to upgrade your PSU to use more powerful cards than the one installed on your system. You motherboard, depending on it's revision number printed on the PCB, may only support 2GB of memory anyway. :lol: So, that's not a major deal if that's the case.

Video cards... depending on what sort of price you're looking to pay for Nvida cards (I keep saying this! :geek: ), you may want to look at this link as there are several recent cards on the market that are priced nicely. Also, this card in the list seems to not need an much more power from your PSU, but if you have a couple of hard disks, dvd/cd, sound card, fans and what not going all at once, then that cost savings will not mean much of anything and you'd still need to upgrade the PSU to avoid random cutoffs from power drain somewhere in the case.

Nvidia Geforce 210 review for more info, but it wouldn't hurt to check around a bit more. Nvidia 9400GT review conclusion pretty much states to avoid the 9400 as it's pretty much the Nvidia 8400/8500 GS/GT with a slightly higher clock speed. Plus, they seem to be running the same price for a 210. :roll:

I'll stop rambling now. :geek:

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:29 am

triclopse wrote:thanks for the help, my system spec is: e2180 2ghz dual core cpu, 2gb ram, GA-945GCM m/board, winXP (the memory limit is why I only put 2gb ram in it), Nvidia 7300 SE / 7200 GS and a 350w PSU. If the 9400GT can do the job I'll probably just go for that since I'm not really looking to get any other games anytime soon.

Sorry, I wasn't familiar with Portal and didn't know it didn't require massive graphics capability. Another nice upgrade (if you can find a copy) for you would be XP64 bit and 2 more gigs of RAM. I did that and saw a big jump in frame rates.
--Sun Tzu

AyaneMatrix

Postby AyaneMatrix » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:00 am

Mynock wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't familiar with Portal and didn't know it didn't require massive graphics capability. Another nice upgrade (if you can find a copy) for you would be XP64 bit and 2 more gigs of RAM. I did that and saw a big jump in frame rates.

Portal is still using the Half-Life 2 Source engine and is really scalable. I can get it to play on my 10 year old computer that I upgraded to an ATI Radeon 8500 LE card with a 1.5Ghz P4, then a P.O.S. laptop with an ATI 200M chipset. If anything, Valve did a hell of a job to get their game playing on old hardware like that. :lol: You'll have some problems if you want it to look REALLY pretty with HDR effects though without a decent graphics card though. :roll:

Also, I think that while his processor is 64-bit capable, his motherboard might not be able to add more memory beyond 2GB if it's an earlier hardware revision and, as such, not able to take advantage of those features. Then again, the only 64-bit OS I've ever really played with has been Linux, so what would I know? :roll:

It just saddens me that I can't get enough funds to build a monster rig to play some of my recent PC games. I really want to finish C&C 3!

Return to “Off Topic”