External hard drive

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Robert
Producer

Re: External hard drive

Postby Robert » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:57 pm

Yes it's time to let the Pro's from Dover take over.

However.. for some reason, the Maxtor hard drive decided to pop up after connecting it to the new enclosure again. So all of that data has been recovered from that one including all the WMF of the entire library and four of the DVD material.

The one that is clicking turned out to be a Seagate in a Maxtor skin. (I would think it would be the other way around.)

Anyway I'm grateful for all the advice and feedback.

A little bit of something is better then a lot of nothing 8-)

Robert

Robert
Producer

Postby Robert » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:14 am

Any suggestions of an adult friendly Data Retrieval company?

Robert

water_bug_62208

Postby water_bug_62208 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:59 am

Well, the IT guy I went to is someone I know and trust. I did note to him to ignore any images of women he should happen upon. :D He assured me all he'd need to do, and did, was transfer all of the data (i.e., pictures, documents, E-mails, etc., that I wanted) from my hard drive onto a DVD. He said he was able to do this without actually looking at the content of what I wanted salvaged (of which, yes, much was quicksand related). I pretty much told him I wanted everything under My Documents, My Pictures, and all E-mails under Outlook saved. He was able to put all of it onto a DVD, most of which opens just fine on the Mac laptop I'm using... except the Outlook files. He also assured me that he destroyed the hard drive afterwards. And, yes, I trust him that he was true to his word. That's the kind of person you need, Robert.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:18 am

You never REALLY know about people. It's easy to imagine some technogeek going through all your stuff, and laughing his technobutt off at how weird and perverted he thinks you are. But I have repaired my home PC once and at my last job, I was the one who always took the computers in for fixing.

So far I've not met a single computer repair technician who appeared to have sufficient free time to entertain himself by going through customer files. When I tried to pick up my home PC, not only had nobody snooped through the quicksand on the hard drive...it still didn't even boot, because nobody had touched it.

The Saturday dude was too ticked at his boss for sticking him with yet another last-minute repair to care about me at all.

I don't worry much, I guess. I do not keep financial info on my hard drive, though. Maybe I'd feel different if quicksand was worth as much as my banking account.

Nessie

Return to “Off Topic”