Major Car Decision--Repair or Replace?

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
QuicksandMania

Re: Major Car Decision--Repair or Replace?

Postby QuicksandMania » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:33 am

Six years later, and after a total of 19 years of original ownership and 281,000 accumulated miles of use, I finally traded my 2002 Honda Accord LX sedan for a 2020 Honda Civic EX hatchback. The straw to break my back came from repeated letdowns of AAA to find a tow truck driver in a timely fashion combined with increasing difficulty in finding parts for an aging car, all aggravated by pandemic supply chain and labor shortages. I am getting too old to deal with this nonsense.

Thanks again to commenters on this thread for helping me to wring six more years of life and 96,000 more miles from my old car. I actually feel a sense of loss after spending 19 years with the same vehicle. I felt like I was losing a family member when I traded. :cry: But I gained a new family member from it. :-D

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:57 pm

291,000 miles.... That'll do pig. That'll do.
Your timing was right at least. With the current car shortage issues used car prices are through the roof, I bet you got top dollar for your trade 8-)
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

QuicksandMania

Postby QuicksandMania » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:43 pm

Mynock wrote:291,000 miles.... That'll do pig. That'll do.
Your timing was right at least. With the current car shortage issues used car prices are through the roof, I bet you got top dollar for your trade 8-)

Unfortunately my old car was in a serious wreck (with me in it) back in 2008 that cracked the frame, and CARFAX ratted me out about it, so I got very little for my trade, but at least it will go to a good home somewhere I hope.

timothy

Postby timothy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:25 pm

Was in same position last week.

Honestly don’t screw around rebuilding. Just get a replacement vehicle. Ours was a massive bill for a 06 Nissan Sentra. Replaced with ‘16 Rav 4. However dont trade in. We only got 500 for the vehicle. Reason we traded was rotted filler neck to tank. Leaking fuel. Didn’t want to sell that to someone.

Bill

Postby Bill » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:44 am

I agree buying a new vehicle can be easier than spending so much to just fix a vehicle

Return to “Off Topic”