Major Car Decision--Repair or Replace?

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Duncan Edwards

Re: Major Car Decision--Repair or Replace?

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:59 am

There probably isn't a single correct decision. I'm a big believer it drive it until it dies and then fix it anyway. This is why my 1998 Ford Ranger is still bouncing around at Camp MPV with 240,000 miles on it. Your economic circumstances are probably not dire so there's no need to endure endless days of maybe it works and maybe it don't. A good used car is a nice compromise. My wife's 2001 Toyota Camry threw a rod and I put a used engine in it for $3k because it seemed the right thing to do at the time. I always break repairs down into car payments and try to figure out how long this will last. ($300 a month X 10 months = $3k) That was two years ago so it was worth it. If you drop three grand are you likely to get year before you have another big expenditure? It's a guessing game but you can usually figure it out pretty close.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

QuicksandMania

Postby QuicksandMania » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:06 pm

Mynock wrote:So loss of power came after the timing belt change that you did due to leaky seals. I'd bet money that this is a head gasket issue. Pull the dipstick out and look at the oil. Is it light tan in color?

20150621_065626.jpg

20150621_065530.jpg

I see no evidence of cross-contamination of fluids.

I use Amsoil synthetic motor oil.

I will have the valve clearances checked Tuesday morning when Schlenker is available. My mechanic asked me to leave the car Monday night to give it overnight to cool thoroughly as the check requires. I will drive the wife's car to work Monday.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:24 pm

Your oil is clean......another hint to me that this isn't a ring issue. If you're losing compression through the piston rings that means the gas is blowing through into your oil system which would soot up the oil really quick. It's got to be something on the top end, I just can't believe a conservatively driven VTEC with 180k has blown rings.
Having a new car would be nice but I'm like you, feel the need to squeeze every last mile out of them before dumping them. If the transmissions good and the body is solid even a new motor isn't that big an expense compared to a whole new car.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

QuicksandMania

Postby QuicksandMania » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:15 pm

Is it possible that the valves were damaged by an improper timing belt job leading to the low compression?

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion ... repairable

Schlenker suspects this happened but will know more tomorrow.

UPDATE:

Answer: YES.

Expected repair cost: $1,500.

Now I need to file a well-argued complaint with the right people.

Lesson learned:

Always work with a trustworthy independent mechanic rather than a chain even if AAA has to tow it to make it so.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:36 pm

Well that's a hell of a lot better than replacing the motor. :D Should run practically like new after replacing the valves.
The car with the highest milage I've ever personally seen was an 86 Ford Taurus. Had over 300k on the odometer before the tranny finally shit the bed (and only because it was leaking and the owner forgot to top off the fluid, ran it dry and burned it up). It's amazing how far a little maintenance can get you (as long as the guy doing it knows what the hell he's doing haha).
--Sun Tzu

QuicksandMania

Postby QuicksandMania » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:13 pm

Luckily I charged the Pep Boys job on a platinum card so I called today and placed the charge in dispute status.

After I get the repairs done I will work with LegalShield to file a formal demand for compensation.

I am not sure how this will play but this is a legal way to blow steam.

Everyone repeat after me:

I will not patronize Pep Boys.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:14 am

That kind of worries me because I'm really anticipating picking up an Elio when they go on sale next year, and Pep Boys will be their official service partner. :?
--Sun Tzu

QuicksandMania

Postby QuicksandMania » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:59 am

Google "Pep Boys horror stories" and reconsider your plan. I had no idea of their poor reputation until my incident. A Web search could have saved me the grief of building false trust in the wrong people. This corporate problem evidently goes back decades as a buddy of mine shared the other day. Chain stores evidently cannot retain the same quality of labor as can the independently owned mechanic shops.

Caveat emptor!

I really question the wisdom of any car company that puts its trust in these people enough to partner with them.

UPDATE:

Save your money.

Six Things That Could Kill Elio Motors Before It Even Launches

Now Pep Boys makes perfect sense!

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:39 am

Article is a little out of date, they have a running prototype of the motor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlM5jWOnDO8

Admittedly the compromise of tandem seating and minimal cargo space is a pretty major issue but damn.....dat price point. It may not be exactly pretty, and it may be a little underpowered (aftermarket turbo would fix that) but you can't beat that thing with a stick for $7000.
--Sun Tzu

QuicksandMania

Postby QuicksandMania » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:31 pm

Persons wanting a convenient PDF of their car manuals should see http://justgivemethedamnmanual.com to locate theirs.

Amazon has some decent generic guides to car care and mechanic selection in Kindle format also such as AUTO REPAIR FOR DUMMIES.

Return to “Off Topic”