-

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
SmileyMcDeath

Re: Dangerous Wildlife?

Postby SmileyMcDeath » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:45 am

Nessie wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:The fetish is truly strong with you. 8-)

Actually, at the time I didn't know that it was a snapping turtle.

If I started poking him in the jaw, though, wouldn't that make him open his mouth? I don't actually WANT that, do I?

Naw...I got my pictures and then went into the bog and did this.

The mudpit I used for most of this summer, which is in a totally different place, was crawling with these.

These are very cute, only about eight inches in diameter. And if you need to pick one up, which I did once to get it off a busy bike path so it wouldn't get crunched...you just hold them in the middle of the shell so they can't reach you. But they don't get mad easy anyway. They just put their head inside their shells, and they wait for you to set them down.

I love nature!

Nessie

Awww, those guys are cute ^_^ I've shared many of my fave sinking spots with them.

They've been around for about 270 million years. They're nature's toughest little survivors. They've managed to cope with everything the universe throws at them...until we arrived.

Where I live, we've got an ongoing problem with turtles attempting to cross busy highways. They're pretty sturdy, but for obvious reasons, they're not equipped to deal well with vehicular traffic. And their natural habitats have been cut into progressively smaller and smaller pieces by roads. It makes it hard for them to find mates or to move to new places to find food.

When I see them I stop to rescue them. In the long run, it probably doesn't do much good, but at least it made a difference for that turtle that day.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:47 am

I actually got bit on the ass by a little baby snapper a long time ago. Was washing off in creek near my then favorite sinking spot with my then favorite girlfriend. Not to get too risque but we were naked, I sat down on a small rock outcropping, and bam....right in the left ass cheek. I still have a small scar. Scared the crap out of me and gave my girlfriend a laugh. Can't really blame the turtle since I practically sat on the poor guy. I'm just glad he didn't aim a little lower and nail something else.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:23 am

SmileyMcDeath wrote:When I see them I stop to rescue them. In the long run, it probably doesn't do much good, but at least it made a difference for that turtle that day.

(Muddy pat on the back)

I love to hear stuff like that...you are a good human being. Thank you from me and the turtles at my mudpit.

Nessie

joedeep130535

Postby joedeep130535 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:48 pm

I love nature too.Particularly when its wearing a purple topshell & is half buried in a peat bog!!!!

Return to “Off Topic”