No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Duncan Edwards

Re: 2012

Postby Duncan Edwards » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:52 am

nachtjaeger wrote:OMG, the destruction of the world! How original. . . :roll:

No new ideas in Hollywierd- still on the same track as classics like "Crack in the World" or "When Worlds Collide."

Were you aware some Hollywood CGI a*%$)!e is remaking "When Worlds Collide" for release next year?

They better not touch "Forbidden Planet". 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:35 pm

"Mutated" radiation? That sounds like the kind of thing I would expect from Futurama. Only there the professor would probably invent a machine to emit "demutated" radiation which counters its effects.
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

General Woundwort

Postby General Woundwort » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Duncan Edwards wrote:
nachtjaeger wrote:OMG, the destruction of the world! How original. . . :roll:

No new ideas in Hollywierd- still on the same track as classics like "Crack in the World" or "When Worlds Collide."

Were you aware some Hollywood CGI a*%$)!e is remaking "When Worlds Collide" for release next year?

They better not touch "Forbidden Planet". 8-)

A*%$)!es indeed.

I've also heard of a remake of either Mad Max or The Road Warrior. I shall NOT be in the audience.

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:59 pm

General Woundwort wrote:A*%$)!es indeed.

I've also heard of a remake of either Mad Max or The Road Warrior. I shall NOT be in the audience.

A lot of these remakes might be okay if they weren't just cheap ripoffs by people who couldn't come up with an original idea. Planet of the Apes wasn't cheap and had a lot of the right people attached to it but it stunk. That was a movie that doesn't really age and couldn't be improved upon. There was certainly no need to mess with the story and that was the thing they screwed up most. It almost got my vote for worst remake ever.

Then they dorked with The Day the Earth Stood Still . Keanu Reeves - 'nuff said.

The worst cheap Hollywood ripoff I ever had the displeasure of viewing was the 2002 remake of Rollerball. I've been a huge fan of anything to do with roller skating all my life. I love to skate, love girls on skates, roller derby, love skating movies no matter that they almost universally are all dreadful. No surprise that I think I also have a skate fetish. I'm a huge fan of the 1975 classic with James Caan because not only is there some excellent skating, not only did I see it at a very formative time in my skating youth, but its a really good movie. Even though everything about the remake screamed "ripoff" I had to go see it and actually believed it might be decent. My brain was mesmerized at the thought of Rebecca Romijn on skates. By the time this utter crap was over with I was ready to suicide bomb the theater. I guess I took it a little personal.

You're right General, I won't be in the audience either.

LordMuck
Location: Somewhere forward of INS 'McArthur's' port torpedo room, brewing poteen.

Postby LordMuck » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:18 am

I was about to inform you of something awful, but a moment's googling:
http://sffmedia.com/films/science-fiction-films/429-internet-leaks-kill-forbidden-planet-remake-claims-straczynski.html
And :) .
Just as well. Amazing how hard it is to get sacks of dead hamsters, never mind the cost of FedExing 'em from here. 8-)
"Isaac Asimov has an asinine motto- 'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.' I agree with it completely- If it's read correctly. That is, only the incompetent wait until it's the last resort."
- jerry Pournelle

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:37 am

LordMuck wrote:I was about to inform you of something awful, but a moment's googling:
http://sffmedia.com/films/science-fiction-films/429-internet-leaks-kill-forbidden-planet-remake-claims-straczynski.html
And :) .
Just as well. Amazing how hard it is to get sacks of dead hamsters, never mind the cost of FedExing 'em from here. 8-)

How can they mess with something that only gets better with age?

Blasphemous...simply blasphemous. They would probably replace Anne Francis with Oprah Winfrey and have a sexually confused Robbie the Robot rape the spaceship.

I can get hamsters. 8-)

Return to “Off Topic”