On my dog rescue

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
reisen55

On my dog rescue

Postby reisen55 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:43 pm

This is shattering. 24 Hours ago my wife was called by the animal control officer who put the fear of God into her that we were violating town codes and were subject to fines UNLESS THE DOG WENT TO THE HI TOR ANIMAL SHELTER RIGHT NOW. I came home, she went to the supermarket and I prepared to take the dog over. Confirmed that with her and 5 min later she called and asked " What shall we name him. Charlie or Shelby?"

She had adopted the dog in her mind. I was delighted. Then made a big mistake. I took the dog to Hi Tor and told them not to do anything as this dog had an adopted home on December 26th.

Came home.
Wife came home.

With the dog gone, she spun 180 degrees in a heartbeat, told me we could not adopt the dog and that was that and I was to clean out the room. Big fight. I am shattered, the dog almost had a wonderful home and she cruelly used me. The room is clean but there is a price. Never again will I willingly buy her a dress out of the blue. She considered this dog as an expense, so shall I consider everything I do for her as an expense too. Pure and simple. But I am shattered.

reisen55

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause

Postby reisen55 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:09 pm

Victory

Turns out that Hi Tor cannot offer ironclad guarantees about pets in their shelter, and one article I found on the web was a horrible accidental euthanasia tale. That did the trick, turned my wife's head around again, so we are adopting the dog on December 26th. Welcome Home Shelby or Charlie.

Maybe Charlie. I like THE AFRICAN QUEEN too.

Mynock

Re: On my dog rescue

Postby Mynock » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:50 am

You were violating a code by taking a stray dog in your house? What fucked up place do you live in?
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:28 am

Mynock wrote:You were violating a code by taking a stray dog in your house? What fucked up place do you live in?

That was my first thought...????

They require you to LICENSE dogs over here. But all you got to do is buy that license and the government is happy.

If your dog gets loose, ends up in the pound, and you didn't license it, then you need to buy that tag to get your dog back. But there's not even a tiny fine for disobeying this license law. And it's not expensive. When it happened to me (my first dog ran off with a neighbor dog right after moving in with me and they both ended up in the same pound)...they didn't even make me prove that that it was really and truly my dog (good thing, since I couldn't...she was dumped off on me by a relative, and I didn't have a receipt or anything).

I bought the tag, took my dog, and bingo, I had a legally licensed pet!

Some laws need to be changed where you are!

I am glad that Charlie, or Shelby, will be staying after all. He is cuteness extreme.

Nessie

reisen55

Postby reisen55 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:13 pm

HE'S HOME
Just retrieved him from Hi Tor today and he is in quarantine to a degree, since he has to be neutered, but he OUT of the rotten animal shelter and has a room with bed and food, and is a genuine little delight. My daughter wants him named CHARLIE which is fine with me, for the interval I call him MONSTER which seems to fit. Reminds me, though he is white, of the old orange monster from the Bugs Bunny cartoons. That kind of dog.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:20 pm

Congratulations!

Curiosity question. Why was he in the shelter to begin with? Did they give a reason for this? Could it possibly have been to make sure that he didn't have some awful disease before you adopted him?

They don't do anything like that here...but I'm so glad that this story has a happy ending. Welcome home, Charlie.

Nessie

reisen55

Postby reisen55 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:34 am

Nessie

I think my wife was put into a bad patch of advice from the local animal control officer, but the shelter is also a resource so we tried it out. Horrid as it turns out and neutering is NOT being done there either.

The dog was discovered by me on our street running free. Only an invisible fence collar and no microchip. Plenty of internet advertisements and posters put up everywhere and nobody called anybody for anything, amazing in that this is a well groomed little man. He had a huge network out for his original owner which never surfaced, so I think the original owner may have dumped him off. He is FAST at an open door though so we have to use the airlock method or always keep him locked away from doors. He'll take off through your feet FAST.

No apparent disease or issues and he is a delight with toys, not a bad habit at all too. Backyard walker, well trained at that.

Give your Dachsie a hug, post a picture if you want.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:15 am

It does seem odd that nobody surfaced to claim your dog. That photo is adorable and if he's well-groomed and trained, somebody certainly had him for awhile. In fact, they invested in an invisible fence.

Well, he's got a good home now!

My last dog was in an animal shelter once. Our neighbor dog was big, mean, and she frightened my dog right out of the yard...later, they both got picked up and taken to the same pound. Very miserable indeed. She whined and cried all the way home from that terrible memory.

I have been flattened by a flu bug so I'm not at my best tonight but...you said I could post one on your thread...so here she is...

Tara, doing what she does best in the place she loves to do it the most -- relaxing on a nice warm lap! (I'm not sure whose lap this is any more. I took the picture, so it's not mine, but there are several laps in the family that Tara doesn't mind napping on.)

Nessie

Return to “Off Topic”