A Signature Discussion (split by request)

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Sandy Place

A Signature Discussion (split by request)

Postby Sandy Place » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:50 am

Billie Bonce wrote:There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

I love Mark Knopfler's work too.
Perhaps you just forgot to include the attribution? :?:

Billie Bonce

Re: A Signature Discussion (split by request)

Postby Billie Bonce » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Sandy Pointe wrote:
Billie Bonce wrote:There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns

I love Mark Knopfler's work too.

The video for this song was announced the best music video of 1985, and to me it remains the best music video ever.

This lyrics reflects my state on this forum (as well as on many other forums) - I seem to be the only one from another world. From behind the iron curtain.

Sandy Pointe wrote:Perhaps you just forgot to include the attribution? :?:

No, I didn't forget. I just didn't include. That is just a signature. People often quote what is supposed to be classics. Other people are supposed to know who is the author.
By the way, the signature is not included when you quote somebody's post. You had to add my signature to what was labelled as "Billie Bonce wrote" by your hands.
Strange that you didn't complain for my signature on Deep Sinking (I didn't change it since 2005). Does it mean you don't like Jim Morrison's work? Also I want to draw your attention to my 'location' that you can see under my avatar. I'm not sure if I can add the attribution there but you got the idea.
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns

Sandy Place

Postby Sandy Place » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:01 am

Sandy Pointe wrote:Perhaps you just forgot to include the attribution? :?:

Billie Bonce wrote:No, I didn't forget. I just didn't include. That is just a signature. People often quote what is supposed to be classics. Other people are supposed to know who is the author.

I'm glad we agree Mark Knopfler has a talent for expressing complex thoughts in a highly-emotive manner.
I'm sorry we disagree on giving an author credit for his or her work.
I believe I noted you are located in one of the former eastern bloc countries (you have my sympathies) where corruption
and deception are viewed in a different light than here in the US. Please note I did not say better; we have plenty of it to go around.
But allow me to point out that in the west, presenting someone else's work as your own (in other words, unattributed) is the definition
of the word plagiarism, which is a fancy way of saying "liar". Right or wrong, like it or not, that is how it is viewed in US culture.

Consider it another way; you compose a story about qs and post it somewhere.
Would you be pleased to see someone else posting it on the QSF website without
any indication it was written by you? Me neither.

Cheers,
sp

quagmire_uk

Postby quagmire_uk » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:56 am

Usually when people do a block of poetry, song lyrics or famous movie dialogue in their signature people don't assume that person actually wrote it. I've seen signatures with quotes from movies like Star Wars and the The Terminator and poems like The Ryme of the Ancient Mariner and the people that put them in their siganture didn't include a credit to the original source, because adding such a credit would add an extra line to the signature and make it rather long and unsightly. And most people are expected to recognise the quotes anyway.

They are just for fun.

And it's totally different to someone posting some of Billie Bonce's work elsewhere because Billie Bonce is not a celebrity, he isn't known outside the quicksand/stuck communities. And, if someone DID post some of Billie's work in a signature on a forum somewhere, the likely response someone would have would be "Oh what's that from?" Because people expect text and pictures and signatures to be from other sources, unless they are just some short witty comment that describes the actual poster.

This isn't a songwriters forum or a poetry corner, it's a quicksand fetish forum, and having an argument about not attributing some song lyrics is a clear example of THE INTERNET IS SERIOUS BUSINESS mentality, and what we are doing around here is not serious business.

MadMax359

Postby MadMax359 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:15 am

btw, mine is from thucydides
The strong do what they want, the weak do what they must

Billie Bonce

Postby Billie Bonce » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:28 pm

Why, good sir! It took you quite a while to answer my post. I thought it was forgotten completely.

Sandy Pointe wrote:I'm glad we agree Mark Knopfler has a talent for expressing complex thoughts in a highly-emotive manner.
I'm sorry we disagree on giving an author credit for his or her work.

No, you're twisting things. We disagree on necessity of explicitly indicate who's the author of the words that are quoted in a forum signature.

Sandy Pointe wrote:I believe I noted you are located in one of the former eastern bloc countries (you have my sympathies) where corruption and deception are viewed in a different light than here in the US. Please note I did not say better; we have plenty of it to go around.
Yes, I live i Ukraine (it's a former republic of the USSR) and I'm quite happy with that. We do have a lot of problems, they are very different from your problems, and I don't think I would like to change our problems for yours.

You are right about the corruption, it is one of the greatest problems here. I don't think it's "viewed in a different light". It's just exists.

Sandy Pointe wrote:But allow me to point out that in the west, presenting someone else's work as your own (in other words, unattributed) is the definition of the word plagiarism, which is a fancy way of saying "liar". Right or wrong, like it or not, that is how it is viewed in US culture.
Don't take the mentor's tone. The definition of the plagiarism is absolutely the same here. But again: quoting lyrics of a well-known song doesn't mean "presenting someone else's work as your own".

And please, don't make references to US culture.

Sandy Pointe wrote:Consider it another way; you compose a story about qs and post it somewhere.
Would you be pleased to see someone else posting it on the QSF website without any indication it was written by you?
As I said above, you incorrectly substitute things. Quoting is one thing, posting the whole is another one. I do would be pleased if someone would quote a phrase from my story, even without any attributing. "Wow", would I think, "I became a classic!"

Well, I do understand your point of view. But I believe it's your own point of view and it doesn't represent the opinion of the most of members of the forum. There are some evidence for thinking this way:
1. Currently you are the only one member of the forum who insist that I did something wrong. Some others support me, most just don't care.
2. Following your logic, all the members of the forum should indicate the authors of the words that are quoted in their signatures, as well as the origin of their avatars. Including phrases like "to be or not to be?" or "in vino veritas". As I can see, this is not the case. Somebody may discuss their avatars or signatures somewhere in this forum, others may not.
3. I didn't receive any complaints from the moderators of the forum.

Yours sincerely,

Billie
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:36 am

Wouldn't have been more polite to say "Cool signature tag- where is that from?"

For the record, my signature is from Metallica's song "Of Wolf and Man" http://www.mp3lyrics.org/m/metallica/of-wolf-and-man/

My avatar is actor Gavan O'Herlihy, as Arik Thaughbaer from the movie "Willow": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096446/
It will get replaced with my pic soon, now that my hair and beard are that long again.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Return to “Off Topic”