Tech help needed- UK DVD in USA

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
nachtjaeger

Tech help needed- UK DVD in USA

Postby nachtjaeger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:12 am

Hey gang!

We ordered a DVD recently, and when it arrived it's encoded in UK (Region 2) PAL format. Since our brand new DVD player refuses to play out-of-region discs, Is there some freeware program that will let it play on the PC? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, as my daughter really wants to watch David Tennant and Patrick Steward in "Hamlet."
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Sekani

Re: Tech help needed- UK DVD in USA

Postby Sekani » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:59 am

Apparently new-model DVD players have a "secret" sequence of buttons you can input on the remote to disable the region locking, you may want to do a Google search on your model number to find out if that's an option.

Beyond that, all the utilities I've seen for the PC cost money, but you may get lucky and find something on download.com. Good luck, either way, and let me know how it turns out :geek:

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:35 am

As Sekani indicated, it is a software issue regarding playback on a PC.

I purchased a couple of refurbished HP machines that had Windows Media installed on them. Apparently, that version of Windows Media Player allows you to change the 'region' a limited number of times. As it happens, that's how I was able to play EH's Hi-De-Hi disc (which was region 2). I don't know if this helps, but it may help put things in context for you.

There are region-free DVD players out there. A popular Asian DVD site I frequent used to sell such players, but apparently they have stopped.

But if you Google "region free dvd player" and follow the link for Amazon, there are a shitload - and most are pretty reasonably priced.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:01 am

Thanks. I was hoping there was some easy hack. I can change the region on my DVD-ROM drive 4 times, so we can watch it twice. My daughter being such an Anglophile, we may just invest in a region-free DVD player.

dlodoski wrote:As Sekani indicated, it is a software issue regarding playback on a PC.

I purchased a couple of refurbished HP machines that had Windows Media installed on them. Apparently, that version of Windows Media Player allows you to change the 'region' a limited number of times. As it happens, that's how I was able to play EH's Hi-De-Hi disc (which was region 2). I don't know if this helps, but it may help put things in context for you.

There are region-free DVD players out there. A popular Asian DVD site I frequent used to sell such players, but apparently they have stopped.

But if you Google "region free dvd player" and follow the link for Amazon, there are a shitload - and most are pretty reasonably priced.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Return to “Off Topic”