Ammo Dump Explosion

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
kham
Always Remembered

Ammo Dump Explosion

Postby kham » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:59 am

I think this is in the Ukraine; my language skills not enough, the original link was from Bring the Heat
But it's pretty spectacular :shock:
Note the rockets going in various directions; not cool
Check it out here

Billie Bonce

Re: Ammo Dump Explosion

Postby Billie Bonce » Tue May 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Yes, it was in Ukraine. Not the first ammunition depot in Ukraine that has ended its existence in such way.
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Wed May 03, 2017 6:40 pm

Billie Bonce wrote:Yes, it was in Ukraine. Not the first ammunition depot in Ukraine that has ended its existence in such way.

I just wonder how many of these can occur before it seriously degrades the ability for Ukraine to defend itself.

Smells kinda funny, as we say here in the West.

kham
Always Remembered

Postby kham » Wed May 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Well, ammo dumps DO blow up. Northern Fleet had a whoopsy in 1986 I think it was, where their entire munitions storage went up in smoke. No risk of war-at-sea that year. Or next :D

Billie Bonce

Postby Billie Bonce » Fri May 05, 2017 9:10 pm

dlodoski wrote:
Billie Bonce wrote:Yes, it was in Ukraine. Not the first ammunition depot in Ukraine that has ended its existence in such way.

I just wonder how many of these can occur before it seriously degrades the ability for Ukraine to defend itself.

Smells kinda funny, as we say here in the West.
Actually, the previous case happened before the current war and it was the situation when Ukraine probably was not able to defend itself already. The ammo was not the main reason though, the total corruption of the army command was.

The last case was pretty serious though because it did degrade the possibility to use certain types of weapons. In the course of the current war though these weapons should not be used according to Minsk agreement, so tactically it was of no significance.
There’s so many different worlds
So many different suns
And we have just one world
But we live in different ones

Tim Kelly

Postby Tim Kelly » Fri May 19, 2017 7:32 pm

Of course the most famous ammo dump explosion in history was in the War of 1812, when after the capture of York (Toronto) Ontario, an American soldier chose the most silly place to have a crafty smoke; the unfortunate GI (and a sizeable area of the town) were immediately "beamed up by Scotty"; no doubt this incident was instrumental in General Hull's decision to abandon the town and make a "stategic withdrawal" to Detroit; that and the intercepted dispatch announcing that the Redcoats were approaching, accompanied by 5000 Native (i.e Indian) troops, all eager to add Hull's scalp to their collection....
"Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh! Quicksand! I'm sinking! I'll go straight to the bottom of.......GLURP!"
(a month later)
"Ugh! Yukkkh! Ptui! I'm out of it! I'm free! Not even quicksand can defeat the power of.....the Eye of Zoltec!"

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Sat May 20, 2017 7:32 am

Another famous explosion was the Halifax explosion back in 1917, where a cargo ship full of explosives collided with another ship, and then caught fire. At an equivalent of roughly 2.9 kilotons of TNT, it was the largest non-nuclear explosion in history!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT_sooq1bow

Here are a couple of documentaries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPrGL9Xt-ds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFg8ANIlOBw

Tim Kelly

Postby Tim Kelly » Fri May 21, 2021 8:28 pm

Wasn't there an incident during Desert Storm in which an armoured division discovered that the next field to the one they vere bivouacked in was littered with unexploded Cluster Bombs; and one "PFC Snafu" dug a hole and proceeded to collect all the CBs and drop them into a deep hole? Along came Sgt Hartmann who asked (leaving out the expletives), "What do you think you are doing, Pvt Snafu?"
"Oh, just getting rid of these duds Sarge, just one last one to go..."
The Sargeant immediately ran back to camp roaring "TAKE ......"
He never got to finish the sentence. After the ensuing explosion the Sargeant needed new eardrums. Of the unfortunate PFC Snafu, nothing was ever found.....
"Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh! Quicksand! I'm sinking! I'll go straight to the bottom of.......GLURP!"
(a month later)
"Ugh! Yukkkh! Ptui! I'm out of it! I'm free! Not even quicksand can defeat the power of.....the Eye of Zoltec!"

Return to “Off Topic”