The Grim Reaper Strikes Again

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Lomax
Location: Skating the edge of sanity, never knowing which way I'm facing.

The Grim Reaper Strikes Again

Postby Lomax » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:28 pm

J D Salinger is dead.

I still remember reading The Catcher in the Rye in my youth. There's a lot of Holden Caulfield in me - I rage against the Universe, which takes no notice.

In Pace Requiescat.
In order to make an apple pie from scratch you first have to create the universe.

Tim Kelly

Re: The Grim Reaper Strikes Again

Postby Tim Kelly » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:37 pm

I read Catcher some years ago; couldn't relate to it at all. Anyone want to read the nearest equivalent in British literature should read "Billy Liar" by Keith Waterhouse; not many people know that Waterhouse wrote a sequel, "Billy Liar On The Moon"; the original in 1959, the sequel in 1972; the first tragic, deep and "kitchen sink" meaningful, the second laugh-out-loud hilarious, yet both about thye same character at different times of his life; teenage and middle-age.
"Aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhh! Quicksand! I'm sinking! I'll go straight to the bottom of.......GLURP!"
(a month later)
"Ugh! Yukkkh! Ptui! I'm out of it! I'm free! Not even quicksand can defeat the power of.....the Eye of Zoltec!"

Mr Payback

Postby Mr Payback » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Lomax wrote:J D Salinger is dead.

I still remember reading The Catcher in the Rye in my youth. There's a lot of Holden Caulfield in me - I rage against the Universe, which takes no notice.

In Pace Requiescat.

You killed JD Salinger?!

jack c

Postby jack c » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:18 am

"Catcher" was required reading in 10th grade in Connecticut public schools where I grew up. It was certainly a good read, but it was a very odd study of coming of age in a troubled world. Looking back, I think Holden Caulfield epitomized to angst that it was to be teenager at that time. The story certainly reinforced my notion that I would not go back and relive that age, even though it would let me be younger - I think this was one of Salinger's main points.

I'll have to work up some nerve to read it again at age 54.

- Jack

Return to “Off Topic”