wow

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Rackasan

wow

Postby Rackasan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:17 am

I didnt think my reply warranted the topic to be locked?
Dont the american people know about NORAID?

Rack

schlamm

Postby schlamm » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:40 am

Last edited by schlamm on Sun May 12, 2013 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Re: wow

Postby dlodoski » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:41 am

Rackasan wrote:I didnt think my reply warranted the topic to be locked?
Dont the american people know about NORAID?...

Please take the time to read Duncan's explanation. The thread was not locked because of your reply.

As it happens, there's no small amount of irony involved regarding where that topic ended up, considering the nationality and the location of the gentleman who started it...
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Jaguar Paw

Postby Jaguar Paw » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:21 am

One mistake in the last but one post before the subject got locked.
It wasn't Dr James Cameron who got smeared by the British Government for ballsing up the forensic test in the Birmingham 6 case, it was Dr Frank Skuse; the Brits alleged that he got confused between a 1% solution and a 0.01% solution, an error of an order of using a bucketful instead of a thimbleful; that is a dog which, to paraphrase Walter Matthau in "JFK", does not hunt.
James Cameron was the pathologist in the Azaria Chamberlain (or Australian "Dingo/baby" case) who, on the basis of the available evidence, conclided that her parents had killed her; a year later, the cops recovered the baby's sleepsuit, with dingo teethmarks and traces of dingo saliva, which ultimately cleared the parents.
Uggggghhhhh! Yukkkkkkh! Ptui! Why didn't he tell me that quicksand was there? Cinematic versimilitude my ass! I'll kill Mel Bloody Gibson!

spunkee311

Postby spunkee311 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:18 am

Rack

not to add fuel to the fire anything, but get used to topics getting locked. I've notice quite a few threads get locked. Which is kind of odd since this is a forum. But that's just I've noticed.

General Woundwort

Postby General Woundwort » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:06 pm

spunkee311 wrote:

Rack

not to add fuel to the fire anything, but get used to topics getting locked. I've notice quite a few threads get locked. Which is kind of odd since this is a forum. But that's just I've noticed.

(emphasis added)

In this specific example, the thread was locked by Duncan due to the fact that he will be unavailable to moderate that specific thread which was his "puppy" and dealt with passionate discussions of a political and historical nature, one that could easily inflame passions. Facing the choice to either lock the thread or lay it on the other mods IMO he did the 100% correct thing. He stated this in the thread and Dave referenced it above.

As for the less-specific, I have been a member of myriad forums over the last 11 years and it is not uncommon in the least to see threads locked - on any given day more or less so, but certainly not odd.

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Postby dlodoski » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:22 am

spunkee311 wrote:...not to add fuel to the fire anything, but get used to topics getting locked. I've notice quite a few threads get locked. Which is kind of odd since this is a forum. But that's just I've noticed.

Hmm, while bearing in mind that for some folks, one locked thread is too many, I disagree with your assessment.

There have been a combined total of 323 topics in the two main 'discussion' areas of the board (General Discussion and Off Topic). There have been a total of 2 locks in those areas. One of those, the topic in question, may be unlocked in the near future for all I know. I chose to analyze these two forums because that's where people are most likely to express themselves.

The lock 'magnet' if you will, is, predictably, the Request forum (3 locks in 78 topics). One of those locks (the most recent one) was my doing, and I stand behind my reasoning 100%.

A topic lock is a useful moderating tool that also happens to be visible. I think what gets under folks skin is the idea that they 'missed' or 'got cheated' out of something rather than the fact that free speech is being trampled. As you may have noticed, this rebuttal thread has not been locked because it does not carry the sense of responsibility/ownership that Duncan felt about the original topic.

Dave
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Return to “Off Topic”