Rest in peace, little wieniebeanie...

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Mynock

Re: Rest in peace, little wieniebeanie...

Postby Mynock » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:30 am

It's always hard to lose a pet. I lost my dog 2 years ago and it still hurts sometimes. You have my sympathies.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

bbjohn

Postby bbjohn » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:11 am

I'm so sorry for your loss, Nessie. Losing a pet is never easy. From what I understand, losing a pet can be as traumatic as losing a close friend or family member. I know this to be true, as I've lost pets in my lifetime. Some while ago, I lost a cat who had been my companion for eight years. I missed petting him and hearing him purr. I even missed how he used to annoy me to get my attention. What I really missed, though, was the feeling there was someone at home who was always glad to see me.

At least your dog spared you the agonizing decision to have him put down. You can tell yourself this is the only way to end an animal's suffering, but part of you dies when that decision is made, and more of you dies when it is actually carried out.

I'd had to make that decision before, but, at least this time around, my cat spared me of that. He had cancer, and he died peacefully in his sleep at the vet's office.

You obviously had some wonderful times with your dog, and these are memories to cherish. Always remember you have friends who love and care about you. That's the most important thing to have at times like these.

Big Bad John

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:22 am

bbjohn wrote:At least your dog spared you the agonizing decision to have him put down. You can tell yourself this is the only way to end an animal's suffering, but part of you dies when that decision is made, and more of you dies when it is actually carried out.

That is true.

I went through that with my last dog. I figure the vet managed to add about a year to her life and she was comfortable most of the time too. Except for mealtime, that is...when their kidneys start to fail, they never get hungry, ever. And they become like little kids who've just been handed a plate of something they absolutely loathe. "No, I won't eat it! It's awful!" And they clamp their jaws shut. You got to get around that and it ain't fun.

Toward the end it got pretty labor-intensive. And I'm pretty sure that at some point, my poor dog stopped appreciating any of this.

Tara didn't go through any of that. In fact, the day before she died, she ate almost a whole can of Nature's Recipe.

Okay, I keep hearing phantom dog tags. It'll be a few days before I get used to this.

Nessie

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:01 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:While I was gone last week I made a canine friend in Central America, Ardillo. His owner found him as a pup sitting in the back of his truck, ready to go. Ardillo (Squirrel) has become part of life for my friend and the visitors there. In time I'm sure that whatever fates rule the dog karma universe will likewise send you a new friend. The mysterious power of the dog seems to be able to locate the truly good folks in this world.

It is too soon to even think about a new dog right now but I did say that I wasn't ever having another dog after my last dog died too.

Then again, I have never actively tried to get a dog.

Both of the dogs I've owned were suddenly homeless for some reason. In both cases, I wasn't expecting a dog of any kind to arrive at my house...they just showed up suddenly needing a place to stay...but once they got in the door, they certainly took over my heart.

"Mysterious power of the dog"...you're onto something with that.

Nessie

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:07 am

Nessie wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:While I was gone last week I made a canine friend in Central America, Ardillo. His owner found him as a pup sitting in the back of his truck, ready to go. Ardillo (Squirrel) has become part of life for my friend and the visitors there. In time I'm sure that whatever fates rule the dog karma universe will likewise send you a new friend. The mysterious power of the dog seems to be able to locate the truly good folks in this world.

It is too soon to even think about a new dog right now but I did say that I wasn't ever having another dog after my last dog died too.

Then again, I have never actively tried to get a dog.

Both of the dogs I've owned were suddenly homeless for some reason. In both cases, I wasn't expecting a dog of any kind to arrive at my house...they just showed up suddenly needing a place to stay...but once they got in the door, they certainly took over my heart.

"Mysterious power of the dog"...you're onto something with that.

Nessie

Here is a poem that was posted a while back:

THE POWER OF THE DOG
by Rudyard Kipling

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
But when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie--
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find--it's your own affair
But . . . you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will
When the whimper of welcome is stilled (how still!)
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone wherever it goes--for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear!

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent.
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long
So why in Heaven (before we are there!)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Boggy Man

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:10 am

I have seen that poem before but it is so very, very true.

I am glad you reposted it. I had a computer crash not long ago and it wiped a lot of files. That's one of those little things I didn't realize I lost until I saw it again...and now I've got it back!

Nessie

Boggy Man

Postby Boggy Man » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:40 am

Nessie wrote:I have seen that poem before but it is so very, very true.

I am glad you reposted it. I had a computer crash not long ago and it wiped a lot of files. That's one of those little things I didn't realize I lost until I saw it again...and now I've got it back!

Nessie

Here is another good one that was posted a while back:

The Creation

When God had made the earth and sky
the flowers and the trees,
He then made all the animals
the fish, the birds and bees.

And when at last He'd finished
not one was quite the same.
He said, "I'll walk this world of mine
and give each one a name."

And so He traveled far and wide
and everywhere He went,
a little creature followed Him
until it's strength was spent.

When all were named upon the earth
and in the sky and sea,
the little creature said, "Dear Lord,
there's not one left for me."

Kindly the Father said to him,
"I've left you to the end.
I've turned my own name back to front
and called you dog, My friend."

Author Unknown

Boggy Man

Scarol

Postby Scarol » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:37 pm

I'm sorry for your dog Nessie,

Scarol
Work to live....or live to work...

jack c

Postby jack c » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:12 am

Nessie,

I am sorry for your loss. You always mentioned her a lot, so it was clear that she was a significant part of your life. With cats in our case, instead of dogs, I have been through having a 21 year cat (that was a wedding present) put down in my lap, as well as other cats passing from natural causes, some of them lingering. It is hard to lose a pet that you love and loves you back.

Hope your life settles down some time so that you can rekindle that love anew when you are ready.

- Jack

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:38 am

Nessie,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Believe me, I know what you're going through. Tara was loved, well fed, and had a warm place by your side. That's all a dog really wants. You will never forget her, but time does make it easier.

I'm attaching a very big hug to this post. If you need more, let me know.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

Return to “Off Topic”