New Dr. Who scene coming?

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
quagmire_uk

Re: New Dr. Who scene coming?

Postby quagmire_uk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:28 am

Wasn't that impressed with the Dalek episode. Always been a big Dalek fan, and first half of the episode was good, loved the khaki british-military style Daleks... but then they revealed a brand new redesign of the Daleks. Some elements were based on the original 60s Daleks and the Peter Cushing movie Daleks, didn't mind that, and the garish primary colours didn't bother me much as previous episodes and the old Dr Who movies had leading Daleks in red and gold etc. But it was the fact that the neck and middle section was completely redesigned... why?!

The Daleks have had essentially the same recognisable design from the black and white episodes in the 60s all the way up to now, and the design has been very popular, so why completely re-do it now? Just for the sake of this being a new series with a new Doctor and them wanting things to be new?

And I didn't really believe the justifcation for these new design Daleks either. Sure the DNA should have brought back the original "pure" Kaled mutant creatures, but why would that cause them to have new Dalek casings? Are their metal casings controlled by their DNA?! And surely if they are the original pure creatures, they would look like they did in the first black and white episodes or in the Tom Baker story Genesis of the Daleks. They should look like "classic" Daleks rather than a new redesign. MAKES NO SENSE.

And... the robot professor stopping himself from exploding... erm... surely if there's a bomb in his chest, it is just remote controlled by the Daleks and they wouldn't have it also wired up to the professor's robot brain. And apparently it is some kind of wormhole providing him with unlimited power, and if it explodes it destroys the planet... if the Daleks had that kind of technology, why did they supposedly have a power shortage, and a spaceship without the power to attack directly and instead only use mind-rays and stuff? Surely they would have put some kind of relatively "normal" nuclear battery in the professor and used the amazing wormhole power source to power their own ship.

It was bizarre, episode flipped from awesome to ridiculous.

But that said, it was still entertaining viewing with good acting and dialogue and so-on.

And apologies for there being nothing about quicksand in there, but I got the feeling this was now a general Doctor Who thread. ;)

Antares

Postby Antares » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Just a wee update... I never had much on this evening :D so I took a good look at the trailer and around 1:03 there is a person in the background of the scene where the assistant is falling into the ground. It looks like an Asian woman and after looking on the wiki, I think the actress Meera Syal looks like the right person...

Meera is scheduled to be episodes 8 and 9, the first of which is runmored to be titled, "The Ground Beneath Their Feet". Possibly this will be our episode. It's about Lizard men.

I'm going to do something more constructive now! ;)

Zoe Mal Doran

Postby Zoe Mal Doran » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:16 am

Seems I'm not the only one who thinks the new Dalek design is a monumentally bad idea.
I loved the previous design. Why did they have to go and throw it out?

Still, I love the "Oh shit" moment after he kicks the Dalek across the room and it says "Correct!" and drops the charade. The visual and audio of those few shots are just perfect.

"We're going to stop you from exploding by using your emotions" makes very little sense unless you either really work at it, or you just willfully suspend disbelief and ignore the plot hole.

The new series has been fun so far. :)
David Tennant is still my favourite, but Matt Smith has definately surpassed Christopher Ecclestone for me.
This certainly seems to be packed full of jam... and quicksand. Oh dear.

Man-in-shadows

Postby Man-in-shadows » Mon May 03, 2010 2:56 am

Found this on trekmovie.com it could be a hint from the episode(8th i believe) we are waiting for(Sorry for the large pic)

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Mon May 03, 2010 6:48 am

Looks like a hole to me...

Just to chime in, I also had some issues with the ep.... the redesign is unnecessary and irritating, unless during the regenration process the Daleks have gotten really fat... in which case their sloppy lifestyle habits will finish them off... ;)

But what was annoying was the sloppy writing. The Daleks fired up every light in London so the Germans could bomb it... cool, I can go with it... and using Dalek devices to make Spitfires fly in space... well, what the hell... they did look cool, even though that whole bit was a direct riff on Independence Day... But are we really supposed to believe the robot scientist with encouragement from Churchill and the Doctor's companion could equip the Spits, have them fly out into space, take on the Dalek ship, and save London, in less than eight minutes? Which is when the Germans were supposed to be hitting London.

Suspension of belief is one thing - which I cheerfully do every time I watch the show, but this is taking it a bit far.

Anyway, there were enough good points to outweigh the bad ones... so let's hope this isn't how the whole season will unfold.

quagmire_uk

Postby quagmire_uk » Tue May 04, 2010 9:55 am

Well, episodes 4 and 5 were great, and did not require ludicrous amounts of suspension of disbelief. It seems all of their bad ideas were concentrated into Episode 3, the Dalek one. (What a tragedy! THe Doctor's greatest foes, one of the most iconic images from the series, relegated to a bright fat laughing stock.) But they did some nice stuff with the weeping angels.

PM2K
Always Remembered

Postby PM2K » Wed May 05, 2010 6:27 am

That's a follow up to Blink, isn't it? That ep rated as one of the all time scariest... for any TV series, I think. A real dynamite one. :)

Glad to hear things pick up. :D

Man-in-shadows

Postby Man-in-shadows » Sun May 16, 2010 7:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGZ6rnbeDtQ

TRAILER for the episode next week (Sat May 22)

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Mon May 17, 2010 12:09 am

Cool!

Man-in-shadows wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGZ6rnbeDtQ

TRAILER for the episode next week (Sat May 22)
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

DarthMau

Postby DarthMau » Thu May 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Hi There is a new image from this episode. Enjoy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Off Topic”