Vehicle question

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
julie

Vehicle question

Postby julie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:07 am

Ok so I have a Jeep now, my dad bought it new back in 01 and put 71k on it and then he had to change the engine last year because of a bad Fram oil filter, well he gave it to me this year, it had P215/75/15's on it, when he bought it, my parents put P235/75/15's on it after my dad changed the engine, ok so having a Jeep I'd like to take it off road, am I good with the 235's or should I invest in 30's or 31's? Theres a couple of places I'd like to go but I'm not sure if I can do it with General Grabber AT2's None of its in mud or anything, but there IS mud where I want to go :)
Well that and a guy rich environment:)
Ok where do guys put all that food they eat?

jadokast98

Re: Vehicle question

Postby jadokast98 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:30 am

I looked at your tire on line, and it should be good for anybody. Check out [url]TireBuyer.com[/url]and [url]Tirerack.com[/url] to name a few. Tire size doesn't matter as much as the tread pattern. The tread pattern really looks like a good cross between good off road traction where there is little to no space where the tire just would not grip as it spins. It looks like it would be pretty quiet on road too as the tread is not that aggressive.
If you are looking into "Rock Crawling" the bigger tire would be better, but you may run into problems with clearance while turning (on-road) and Crawling unless you get a lift kit. You may have to be concerned with if the tire is taller than the stock tires, and the gearing for the speed sensor is not changed, your speedometer would be off. 55mph on the speedo may be closer to 62, and one of the first guys you may meet would be wearing a uniform. (You may like that part) ;)

Take your time, take some notes, look into what your target audiance is running and have fun. Saturdays and Sundays on SPIKE tv has a group of shows called Power Block that is cool to watch. You could get a lot from that too. Good luck! 8-)

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:13 am

At the same time, taller tires will (as stated) change the gear ratio. A buddy of mine put huge mud tires on his Toyota pickup (had to do a body lift) and afterwards it wouldn't pull a setting hen off the nest. If you're rock crawling, you need the low gearing to turn the tires.

You can also mess things up by raising the center of gravity, which is none too low on Jeeps to begin with. The roll bar is like a fire extinguisher- good to have there for emergencies, but you hope you never need it. Too-large tires can mess up the on-road handling, too.

My personal recommendation would be to go no more than one size wider and/or taller than the stock rubber. If you're not going mudding (in the Jeep, that is) you don't need huge tires for flotation. The best advice I can give is this: Drive in 2WD until you get stuck, then put it in 4WD and go home.
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

buckeye

Postby buckeye » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:05 pm

Hello,
I changed from 235's to 30x9.5 Firestone Destination M/T on my 88 Jeep Cherokee and I like the improved performance, however I did not change until my 235's were worn out. They are great off road (not for big rock climbing) and do well on the highway.

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:28 am

Grabber's aren't bad, I had a set of those on my TJ.
As for bigger tires...do you have a 4 or a 6 and do you know what rear is in it? Mine does fine with 31x10.50's but I've got the straight 6 and the upgraded factory 3.92's. If you're running a 4 banger don't go any bigger. If you're running a 6 with the stock 3.05's You can do it but you'll notice a slight decrease in acceleration.
If you plan on using this strictly for an off road/around town truck, get a set of these:
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=16&g=1
The 29x10.50's will snug up perfectly in the wheel wells. Pros: Ridiculous amounts of traction both on rocks and in mud. Cons: Your jeep will sound like a
bi-plane when doing 60. 8-)
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 am

Size 12E New Balance 993's. Take me over any terrain as far as I want to go but I only get 300-500 miles a set. 8-)
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

jack c

Postby jack c » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:04 am

I have a 1996 Cherokee, which is a slightly larger design than 1997 -2001 Cherokee. I have P225-75R15 tires on mine, and have used this size for all 163,000 miles on the vehicle. My in-line 4.0 liter 6 cylinder is still operating fine without any major maintenance. You should be able to put any all-season 225-75-R15, or even 215-75-R15 tires on your vehicle and be fine. If you go on Tire Rack website, the best buy tire for your Cherokee would be a Korean tire, Kumho Solus KR-21. When I replace my existing tires, I am ordering 4 of these tires, as I plan to keep my Cherokee until at least 250,000 miles out of shear economics (it's paid for!). Good luck.

julie

Postby julie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:31 am

Mynock wrote:Grabber's aren't bad, I had a set of those on my TJ.
As for bigger tires...do you have a 4 or a 6 and do you know what rear is in it? Mine does fine with 31x10.50's but I've got the straight 6 and the upgraded factory 3.92's. If you're running a 4 banger don't go any bigger. If you're running a 6 with the stock 3.05's You can do it but you'll notice a slight decrease in acceleration.
If you plan on using this strictly for an off road/around town truck, get a set of these:
http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=16&g=1
The 29x10.50's will snug up perfectly in the wheel wells. Pros: Ridiculous amounts of traction both on rocks and in mud. Cons: Your jeep will sound like a
bi-plane when doing 60. 8-)

Its a little 2.5 4 cylinder with an automatic transmission, the diff gears are 3:73 to 1. I basically drive it around town and to and from school, shopping stuff like that. but I go off road on weekends when I go camping, theres a place out past Danville where a friend of mine has some land so its all trails back in there. No deep mud or super extreme rock climbing, but I have had to use the e brake once or twice to keep the rear tires from spinning when one comes up. My dad said I have open differentials, and he should know he has been working on cars since before I was even born.
Ok where do guys put all that food they eat?

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:14 am

With that 4 banger under the hood if you go much bigger on the tires you're going to do more harm then good to your off-road (and on road) performance. The 235's you mentioned will probably be ok though.
If you want to go bigger then that, you can spend some cash and swap out the 3.73 ring and pinions for a set of 4:11's or even 4.56's. That'll give you enough low end grunt to get a bigger set of tires moving but there are two drawbacks. You'll run the risk of breaking axles and your top speed will be about 50mph.
If it were mine I'd just go for a real aggressive 235 tire. A little rock rash on the skid plates is really no big deal. 8-)
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Return to “Off Topic”