The taxman cometh (4/15/2010)

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
nachtjaeger

The taxman cometh (4/15/2010)

Postby nachtjaeger » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:59 am

Did the taxes tonight. :cry: Definitely need to tweak the Fed withholding. Weredragonlady had all the documents ready, and we flew through it in less than two hours using TurboTax. Their software gets better every year.

Got hit on the Fed taxes (not as bad as last year) but got a refund on the State to offset some of that. How'd everybody else do this year?
This space for rent- advertise your product or service here!

dlodoski
Wizard of Ooze

Re: The taxman cometh (4/15/2010)

Postby dlodoski » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:37 am

Another extension - and not on my dick.

But I should add that I did file a return last year, but by the 9/15 deadline.
The Wizard of Ooze stays behind the curtain!

https://allmylinks.com/dlodoski

Stay signed up to Club MPV and bank 10 free download tokens every month!

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:49 pm

Crap, I don't even know how much I earned last year. My wife takes all the pertinent documentation to her mother's tax guy and he's done with ours in about half an hour. I'll find out this afternoon or tomorrow what the pain is going to be. I guess there's some comfort in knowing that it won't be as bad this year as it will next.

I would like to encourage all of those who think we don't pay enough taxes to go ahead and add more to your total tax bill. Remember that the IRS is just giving you a minimum that you have to pay. They don't mind at all if you want to pay more. :mrgreen:
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Qsvgitguy
Always Remembered

Postby Qsvgitguy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 pm

I was on unemployment for a big part of last year. I worked when I could, but because unemployment pays so little, I could not have them take out any taxes, for I needed every cent.

Now, I owe over 500 buck to both the state and the feds. :shock: And since I'm not working, I just don't have it. Oh well. :(

Mynock

Postby Mynock » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:37 pm

+1 For Turbo Tax. This year was the first time I tried it and it worked great. Didn't find me an extra $10,000 in deductions or anything but it made the process simpler and easier. Plus with e-filing you get your money back in about a week instead of a month.
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:39 pm

Qsvgitguy wrote:I was on unemployment for a big part of last year. I worked when I could, but because unemployment pays so little, I could not have them take out any taxes, for I needed every cent.

Now, I owe over 500 buck to both the state and the feds. :shock: And since I'm not working, I just don't have it. Oh well. :(

This probably isn't news to you but make sure the IRS knows that. If they have to come after you its much different than if you let them know first.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:32 am

Money is coming back for the first time in years, but...it's hard to feel good about it.

The reason why both State and Fed are sending money here is because not as much money arrived here during the rest of the year. Since the amount of money that the government is sending to my house is not anywhere near as much money as once came to this house in years gone by, I'm not all that thrilled about the refunds.

I'd happily pay what I used to pay if the money coming into the house could be the same amount that it was during the years that I always owed both State and Fed.

The economy has not been kind. It is a good thing I worked at finding mud locally since I can't buy plane tickets to any mud or hotel rooms by mud any more.

Nessie

Nessie
Producer

Postby Nessie » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:01 am

Duncan Edwards wrote:I would like to encourage all of those who think we don't pay enough taxes to go ahead and add more to your total tax bill.

Actually, for two years now, I've given the government a bit extra for critical habitat...not on my tax form exactly...but since that includes state support for marshlands, it may not have been complete altruism on my part.

Nessie

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:51 am

Been there, done that. :evil: Still can't figure out how I was practically starving to death, but still owed taxes. Mark Twain said it well: "The difference between a tax collector and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin."

Qsvgitguy wrote:I was on unemployment for a big part of last year. I worked when I could, but because unemployment pays so little, I could not have them take out any taxes, for I needed every cent.

nachtjaeger

Postby nachtjaeger » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:54 am

We've done that in the past, but New York has a nasty habit of looting "dedicated funds" and spending the money where they see fit.

Nessie wrote:
Duncan Edwards wrote:I would like to encourage all of those who think we don't pay enough taxes to go ahead and add more to your total tax bill.

Actually, for two years now, I've given the government a bit extra for critical habitat...not on my tax form exactly...but since that includes state support for marshlands, it may not have been complete altruism on my part.

Nessie

Return to “Off Topic”