RIP Charlie Daniels.

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
OBI-wan

RIP Charlie Daniels.

Postby OBI-wan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:21 pm

Dead at 83.
"Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Mynock

Re: RIP Charlie Daniels.

Postby Mynock » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:48 pm

One of favorite go to singers when I'm in the mood for some real deal old school country. RIP Indeed...... :cry:
I worked backstage at one of his concerts about 20 years ago. I remember thinking he had an amazing amount of energy for a someone who even then was getting on in years. Really friendly, down to earth kind of guy. He took time after the show to personally walk around backstage and thank us all for our hard work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuAMm2Ub-60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKQJcnifqEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm9ioCn1mkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ74BwEwOJY
"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."
--Sun Tzu

Duncan Edwards

Postby Duncan Edwards » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:46 pm

We used to enter basketball games to his rendition of "Orange Blossom Special". Saw him in the airport once and made it to two Volunteer Jams. The man loved music and actually entertaining people. He led off for Alan Jackson one night when I was present after being out of state for months. The show began with his usual Ain't it great to be alive and be in Tennessee? I was so emotional that I jumped up and yelled HELLYEAH!! at the top of my lungs. He pointed his fiddle bow in my direction and proceeded to tear things up. Patriot and legend, he made his mark.
It's a dirty job but I got to do it for over 20 years. Thank you.

BogDog

Postby BogDog » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:58 am

................................................ Charlie Daniels Jr.

Charlie Daniels Jr., the son of “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” country legend Charlie Daniels, has taken over the “Soapbox” section on his later father’s official website to share a touching tale about the staff at Summit Medical Center in Hermitage, Tenn., where the elder Daniels died on July 6 after suffering a hemorrhagic stroke. In his heartfelt post, the Grand Ole Opry member’s son explained that he “wanted to pick up the story at the hospital after dad took his last breath.” He emotionally described the scene as an “overwhelming display of love, honor and respect” that made him “extremely proud to be his son."

“Some of the hospital staff and the hospital chaplain talked to us about doing a Patriots Honor Walk for dad when they were ready to take him to the hearse and then to the funeral home,” the younger Daniels wrote. “The Patriots Honor Walk is military-themed, and it is the civilian equivalent to the military Honor Walk as the hospital staff lines the hallways as the recently deceased is taken out of the doors.”

The singer’s son explained that he made it clear to the hospital staff that — while the elder Daniels “loved our military” — he had never served, due to his poor eyesight. In fact, a few years ago, some “online trolls” had accused the famously patriotic country star of being a “draft dodger.” But the passionate hospital staff wanted to proceed with the tribute. “I wanted to let the staff know that information, and they said the Patriots Honor Walk is similar, but for people who were passionate supporters of our country, and our military. One of the nurses on staff who served in the Navy brought an American flag and she draped it over my dad’s body, and the hospital chaplain handed out cards with a beautiful prayer he had written for us,” the younger Daniels wrote.

The hospital staff’s tribute didn’t just entail a walk, however. “This is going to be difficult for me to put into words, and I’m already tearing up as I write it,” Daniels Jr. continued, revealing that while hospital staffers were planning the Patriots Walk, members of the Mt. Juliet Police Department and the Wilson County Sheriff’s Department were also organizing a procession from the hospital to the funeral home in nearby Mt. Juliet. After his Daniels Sr.’s body left the hospital, local law enforcement and two dozen Patriot Guard Riders took part in a motorcade to the funeral home, with fans lining the streets to pay their respects.

"With just 45 minutes’ notice, people stepped out of their places of work, left their homes and in the middle of a pandemic, lined the streets of Mt. Juliet to pay their respects to my father,” wrote Daniels Jr., confessing that he quickly realized that he’d made a “huge mistake” by driving his own car in the motorcade, as he started to weep over “the outpouring of love the American flags waving, the people holding signs saying, ‘We Love You, Charlie!’ … I should’ve had someone else drive me.”

Daniels Jr.’s post was titled “The Best There’s Ever Been, Part 2,” following a part 1 that he wrote the day after his father’s July 10 funeral, which was live-streamed and featured performances by Travis Tritt, Vince Gill, Gretchen Wilson, and Trace Adkins.
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Return to “Off Topic”