Who wants to know my Daz Studio "secrets" ? ;)

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Aiko

Who wants to know my Daz Studio "secrets" ? ;)

Postby Aiko » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:01 pm

This is directed to anyone interested in creating 3D art for this community. I am considering to post details about my own current workflow with Daz Studio. How I set up the scene, which plugins I use, how I get my characters muddy etc. Naturally writing this sort of article is quite a bit of work if it is to be done well. So before I even get started on it, I would like to see if there is actually anybody interested in reading it.
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

dunebar

Re: Who wants to know my Daz Studio "secrets" ? ;)

Postby dunebar » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:16 pm

I downloaded Daz and found it a bit hard going to be honest, so I would definitely be interested! Thanks for the offer.

stevensh12

Postby stevensh12 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:12 pm

I am also interested in how you do it especially getting characters muddy
i'm just an idiot with a box and a screwdriver

qsemergency

Postby qsemergency » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:46 am

I'd be interested.
Would like to know beforehand about how much time it takes to make a pictures - start to finish?
Once you make the first picture - does the time needed to make the next frames take less time?

Thanks

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:43 pm

stevensh12 wrote:I am also interested in how you do it especially getting characters muddy

It's an interesting topic because there are sooo many ways to do it, and it's important specifically for art in the community. :)

qsemergency wrote:I'd be interested.
Would like to know beforehand about how much time it takes to make a pictures - start to finish?

I don't really have an answer for that. In theory, assuming you already have built yourself a library of characters, poses, locations, you could patch together a scene within minutes. On the other hand there really is no upper limit on the amount of time you can invest in a single frame if you keep tweaking things to your liking until you feel they are perfect. You set your own bar for quality and originality of the result.

qsemergency wrote:I'd be interested.
Once you make the first picture - does the time needed to make the next frames take less time?

I assume you are talking about frames of one series set in one location. What I generally do, is keep those in one Daz Studio scene file (abusing the timeline that is actually meant to be used for animation to do a sequence of stills instead). So, in theory, yes. When you work on the series frame by frame and the first one is done, you could just reposition the character(s), change the pose(s) and have the next frame done rather quickly. But, that's not how I typically work. I go back and forth between frames a lot and keep tweaking things. I'm usually working on the part that I have the best idea on how exactly I want it to look. So in my case it's perfectly possible that when the first frame is done, the entire scene is done (excluding render time).

qsemergency

Postby qsemergency » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:33 am

Thank you for the detailed explanation

onesixthsinker

Postby onesixthsinker » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:58 am

The way you do your mud covering is of interest to me. I've used a handful of resources for some things, usually covered hands, and that has worked OK, but most of the resources are quite limited.
OSS / Nomino-Tacet
https://www.deviantart.com/nomino-tacet
Full size images, exclusive content, and more at:
https://www.patreon.com/nomino_tacet

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:56 am

So based on your feedback I decided to write an article about specifically about how I make my characters muddy. I think I should have the spare time to do that in the week between Christmas and New Year. I'll be making screenshots from a new project and use them for the article. When it is done I will post it on TGS and you'll find a link to it here.

Rusty Shackleford

Postby Rusty Shackleford » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:48 am

Hi Aiko,

Thank you for asking - I've been following your work for a while and really enjoy it. This is a little more technical than a general DAZ tutorial, but I'd be interested in how you construct your bogs, from models used to texturing. I've been working in Carrara for years, but I'm making the switch over the DAZ Studio soon (mainly to take advantage of all the great Gen8 content) and I'd really appreciate pointers working with QS modelling in that.

That might be more specific than others are looking for, so happy to discuss over private message.

Thank you for your posts, really love your work.

Rusty

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:26 pm

Rusty Shackleford wrote:Hi Aiko,

Thank you for asking - I've been following your work for a while and really enjoy it. This is a little more technical than a general DAZ tutorial, but I'd be interested in how you construct your bogs, from models used to texturing. I've been working in Carrara for years, but I'm making the switch over the DAZ Studio soon (mainly to take advantage of all the great Gen8 content) and I'd really appreciate pointers working with QS modelling in that.

That might be more specific than others are looking for, so happy to discuss over private message.

Thank you for your posts, really love your work.

Rusty

Do you mean specifics about the shader for the bog's surface? That shader I currently use for the quicksand will be available for download once I have the article on muddy skin done. It's entirely procedural (no texture image needed, so I guess I don't do any "texturing" ;) ).

Or do you want to know how I build the entire environment around the bog? That might be worth an article of its own to cover all the methods I have used so far. Is there a particular scene you want to know more about?

Return to “Off Topic”