TGS domain suspended

No political or religious topics please. Otherwise, anything goes, as long as we treat each other with respect.
Aiko

TGS domain suspended

Postby Aiko » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:07 pm

The downtime of thegreatswamp.xyz is not a mere technical problem. My registrar told me, that my domain has been suspended (took them 24 hours after I submitted a support ticket). One thing that bothers me is, that I received NO NOTIFICATION of the suspension and had to ask what was wrong in order to find out. The other thing is that I have received NO EXPLANATION why it has been suspend thus far beyond "Suspended for Abuse reported".

Well, looks like 2020 still has a few "surprises" left. :/
Visit me at the Great Swamp, but watch your step on the way there!

SinkerCutie

Re: TGS domain suspended

Postby SinkerCutie » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:05 pm

This is actually abuse on their part! You have every right to get an explanation of why your site is suspended!

sixgunzloaded

Postby sixgunzloaded » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:45 am

Ugh. Sounds kinda like the Thought And Morality Police are at it again.
Stuff like this is why I only ever post my qs material here and my other interests at a similar board. It's the only place I trust to understand me and not label me a 'deviant', 'weirdo', 'pervert', whatever.
So sorry this happened to you, Aiko. Especially at this time of year. :(
Here's to hoping 2021 will be better. But I'm not crossing any fingers.
How long did Tarzan watch before deciding to save Jill..?

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:06 am

This is becoming the most Kafkaesque experience I have had in my entire life. I get it when a free platform arbitrarily bans you and never even bothers to communicate with you. But this domain is a service I am paying for after all. So my registrar is referring me to registry operator of ".xyz" and their unsuspension form. Said form tells me to get off any blacklists I might be on (generic text that does not reveal which one I am currently on). They do not seem to bother answering my email. I did some research and found out that my domain is indeed on the Spamhaus DBL, but again, no information as to why. I use their form (Spamhaus's) to try and get delisted, confirm their automated email, nothing happens.

Also, there is this list of possible reasons for suspension in the registry operator's anti-abuse policies and being on some blacklist simply is not one of them. But I get the impression that the way they actually operate is to simply delegate the decision who gets suspended to these blacklists (less work than to actually look at cases I presume). And the companies who maintain such blacklists are simply not accountable and have no obligation to even talk to me. So, 3 days into this whole mess I can still only speculate as to why this has happened.

SPACEMARINE394

Postby SPACEMARINE394 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:13 am

Very sorry to hear about this Aiko. On the lighter side maybe shirts could be printed up with "Weirdo, Deviant, Pervert" with checked boxes beside the words. I agree that it sounds like the morality police again, boy they are annoying and persistent.
FOR THE EMPEROR

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:09 pm

I have finally received some positive feedback from Spamhaus. They have taken my domain off their blacklist. Even the employee who answered my inquiry does apparently not know exactly why it was put on that list in the first place, but apparently my site is in "a really bad neighborhood" as far as the IP range is concerned. Whether this actually has anything to do with the domain suspension is still merely guesswork as I have not heard anything from the registry operator.

SinkerCutie

Postby SinkerCutie » Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:42 am

Well, that's good news. It was probably an honest mistake.

sixgunzloaded

Postby sixgunzloaded » Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:15 am

Yes, good to hear you're off the blacklist. I guess it could have been an honest mistake but the more cynical side of me thinks it was more likely that registry operator (or whoever) was doing some sort of wider purge and you got caught up in it simply because you happened to be in "a really bad neighborhood". Guilt by association and all that. I bet they probably didn't even look closely at your site.
Of course, I could be way off base too. Admittedly, I don't really know a lot about domains, blacklists and IP ranges... lol.
But I'm glad you've had some forward progress. :)
How long did Tarzan watch before deciding to save Jill..?

Aiko

Postby Aiko » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:18 am

TGS is back! :D

The registry controller confirmed that the domain was suspended because it had been flagged by Spamhaus. All of this still seems so absurd to me, because... how am I responsible for whatever it is my "neighbors" did or possibly still do? Anyway, the domain is back and I am staying in that same neighborhood for now (hey, I paid for this webspace after all). Let's see how long it takes until the domain gets suspended again for something I did not do.

Chimerix

Postby Chimerix » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:47 pm

Welcome back!

I spent a VERY brief time moderating a forum for a nonprofit group. Hours weekly purging all the ne'er-do-wells who signed up to spam. It didn't take long at all to notice that they all were in an IP range, and that the IP range was affiliated with a former Soviet entity. So, I banned all IP addresses affiliated with that country. Who knows? There may have been a legitimate user in those thousands of addresses, but I didn't care. All I cared about was not spending hours a week on that crap. It's not like the nonprofit served people in Eurasia.
The difference between theory and reality is that, in theory, there is no difference between theory and reality.

Return to “Off Topic”